Coronavirus

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
bigyetiman

Re: Coronavirus

Post by bigyetiman »

I am enjoying the series having not read the books. OH she has read the books, but doesn't like the tv series. We can imagine Poppy jumping up and down every time she sees a daemon
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

How to do Christmas if you feel you must.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... navirus-uk
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

We will just pass.
We have just been told that Primark, Next and several other shops will be reopening at Lakeside next week 7am-midnight so everyone can shop safely. Yeah right, just means the same amount of people will be packing into the centre and hanging around, bit like they have now with "click and collect"
Only plus side we get a bit of overtime if we want it
dianefairhall
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by dianefairhall »

Outdoor gatherings? The woman in the Guardian has obviously never been to the Outer Hebs in December. Your Granny would die from hypothermia instead of Covid.
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

dianefairhall wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:42 pm
Outdoor gatherings? The woman in the Guardian has obviously never been to the Outer Hebs in December. Your Granny would die from hypothermia instead of Covid.
Yes, weird, even for here at the bottom of the map in Hampshire!
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

dianefairhall wrote:
Yet another case of the metropolitan elite telling every one else what to do. I’m sure in a heavily built up area of Chiswick,darling, this would be possible. But then north of Watford we don’t do Christmas because we’re all pagans.
But seriously open doors and windows to get a good throughput of air! Roast chestnuts on an outdoor fire! I don’t know anyone who does chestnuts, just how Dickensian are we? As you say, Dianne, have they any idea of the kind of weather up north.
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw »

I would describe the Guardian as a joke, but any news organisation that seems hell bent on spreading divisiveness isn't very funny. At least they seem to have moved on from "boomer bashing" and misandry to harassing anyone who thinks chromosomes define gender, including their own journalists. Surprised they have any time at all for Christmas really, it's as non vegan a festival as you can get, all those trees being chopped down!, Santa, an old white male presiding over affairs. You would almost think they were a bunch of Oxbridge educated hypocrites with villas in Tuscany......

Edit. I am equally critical of all of the other major newspapers we have in this country btw, I think they are all absolutely dreadful in their own way and pretend to put forward a view completely at odds with what the people running them represent. But still, should keep my opinions to myself, not entirely sure why I am feeling the need to vent at the moment, so just ignore me. Which you don't need to be told to do anyway ;)
Last edited by dinosaw on Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Hen-Gen wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:05 pm
dianefairhall wrote:
Yet another case of the metropolitan elite telling every one else what to do. I’m sure in a heavily built up area of Chiswick,darling, this would be possible. But then north of Watford we don’t do Christmas because we’re all pagans.
But seriously open doors and windows to get a good throughput of air! Roast chestnuts on an outdoor fire! I don’t know anyone who does chestnuts, just how Dickensian are we? As you say, Dianne, have they any idea of the kind of weather up north.
We do chestnuts. There are some lovely chestnut trees near us and we go and pick lots of them. Lovely roasted in the oven.

Can't imagine sitting in the open in Norfolk either, with the wind blasting across the North Sea
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

This is the Sage version of official advice. I really don’t think I’d want to bother with all that.
In years to come, articles like this will be considered wonderful reminders of the strange things people were urged to do.

‘ – while dancing can be dangerous because of higher breathing rates.“
From what I remember of my dancing days, higher breathing rates weren’t the main danger, just the first stage....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... tmas-covid
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Interesting contribution to the discussion on vaccinations. Any comments?
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ti-vaxxers

And this embedded link;
https://healthydebate.ca/2017/08/topic/ ... -hesitancy

Of course both these articles are written from the point of view of doctors who want at least 90% of people to get vaccinated in order to promote herd immunity. Has anyone got a rational article saying something different?

Return to “The Dustbath”