Coronavirus

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Hen-Gen

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Hen-Gen »

Fair snuff!
For the reasons you say (being old) I probably will take it. In my case it’s to do with probabilities. Same reason I take statins.
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw »

Hen-Gen wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:06 pm
Fair snuff!
For the reasons you say (being old) I probably will take it. In my case it’s to do with probabilities. Same reason I take statins.
Absolutely, you have to assess whether it is the best thing for you in your own circumstances. I'd certainly never knock anyone who wanted to take it and for some groups it will be a "no brainer" to take it given the risk covid presents to them. What I don't like to see is politicians who won't make mask wearing in public mandatory, (as in South Korea which has had only 30,000 cases and 500 deaths in a 50 million population), but refuse to rule out making the vaccine mandatory.

I think what has been quite interesting reading through the BMJ blurb about it, is that a lot of the people who have come forward to test the vaccine have been from high risk groups. I know two people who have done the Astra Zeneca/Oxford test and both spent the entire time self isolating so the chance of them catching covid was nil, though obviously they have helped with the side effect data. I presume this is why so few people in the placebo group actually caught the virus during the trial period, I think in total it was only 252 people out of 36,500.
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Having just had my 80th birthday and also being on the high risk list for COPD, I am very glad to have the hope of getting a Covid jab ASAP. For most people, including many in your age group, dinosaw, the risk of a reaction to the vaccination is minimal compared with the possible consequences of Covid. I feel that, apart from the confidence it will give me in returning to more normal life, it’s my civic duty to have the vaccination when offered it in order to protect others from the risk of catching it from me. Much the same as the reasons for wearing a mask. I suppose you’re relying on the wider population achieving herd immunity in order to protect you, dinosaw, or else you think you’re not very likely to suffer much if you do get it. But the herd immunity will only be achieved if enough people do take the vaccine, whether for their own sake or to help protect others. And all those other vaccines you’ve already had, that have helped keep you free from debilitating and infectious diseases, were all new once, and all had to be trialled on people prepared to experience them in the hope of developing something to protect themselves and others. I think if I got Covid I would most probably die painfully, or at least would be extremely ill with long term consequences, - so much as I would like to meet you in person one day, dinosaw, I hope it won’t be before I get my vaccination!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

We will let you know what happens to all of us once we have had it Dinosaw, and you can decide then.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw »

bigyetiman wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:10 pm
We will let you know what happens to all of us once we have had it Dinosaw, and you can decide then.
When you all turn into zombies in five years time, don't worry, I'll be there to sort you all out in my new "car"

https://tanks-alot.co.uk/product/russian-2s3-akatsiya/
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw »

Marigold wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:44 pm
Having just had my 80th birthday and also being on the high risk list for COPD, I am very glad to have the hope of getting a Covid jab ASAP. For most people, including many in your age group, dinosaw, the risk of a reaction to the vaccination is minimal compared with the possible consequences of Covid. I feel that, apart from the confidence it will give me in returning to more normal life, it’s my civic duty to have the vaccination when offered it in order to protect others from the risk of catching it from me. Much the same as the reasons for wearing a mask. I suppose you’re relying on the wider population achieving herd immunity in order to protect you, dinosaw, or else you think you’re not very likely to suffer much if you do get it. But the herd immunity will only be achieved if enough people do take the vaccine, whether for their own sake or to help protect others. And all those other vaccines you’ve already had, that have helped keep you free from debilitating and infectious diseases, were all new once, and all had to be trialled on people prepared to experience them in the hope of developing something to protect themselves and others. I think if I got Covid I would most probably die painfully, or at least would be extremely ill with long term consequences, - so much as I would like to meet you in person one day, dinosaw, I hope it won’t be before I get my vaccination!
I know where you are coming from Marigold, and with any normal vaccine I would be coming from the same place. From your point of view, at your age, you would be mad not to take the vaccine. From my point of view, every vaccine I have taken that you mentioned had a 10-15 year development time, so ample time to assess the longer term side effects. They were also all conventional vaccines. The two new vaccines are DNA vaccines which have never received approval before. If the makers of these two vaccines had full confidence in them, then they would not have sought and received indemnity from civil liability. I would actually be more likely to consider the AstraZeneca vaccine as it is at least built on a tried and tested platform. Anyway, upsetting anyone with my view was the last thing I was looking to do.
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Nobody was upset, dinosaw, and I hope I didn’t upset you. Of course everyone on here has their own views, as in any group of friends, and I think one of the good things about this forum, unlike some others, is that we can agree to disagree and still stay friends.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw »

Good, I'm glad to hear that Marigold, last thing in the world I am ever aiming to do.
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

Marigold wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:44 pm
Nobody was upset, dinosaw, and I hope I didn’t upset you. Of course everyone on here has their own views, as in any group of friends, and I think one of the good things about this forum, unlike some others, is that we can agree to disagree and still stay friends.
That is what I like too!

I'm undecided about the vaccine and it is interesting and helpful to read the different points of view. It will be a while before they get to my age group, although quicker than dinosaw, and by then it may be easier to decide.

What I can't get my head round is my very intelligent niece-in-law (Engineering degree and business accountancy qualifications) thinking it will be OK for them to call and see me at Christmas. My nephew is teaching in Hampshire and they are in Lancashire so at the moment that is their bubble being two separate households. Her plan is Christmas "at home" with everyone, that is her parents and my sister, and the a week in Hampshire calling in on me on the way there from Lancs (Hoping to stay the night? I don't know).

That means 4 households meeting in Lancs, one of which will have had contact with other grandchildren, and then coming here. I don't think so!

Her mother has been the source of more than one "Christmas infection" which has infected my sister who has then visited me - the last tie for three and a half weeks because she wasn't well enough to travel home to S.Wales.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Not offended either Dinosaw. That is the nice thing on here, we can all offer our opinions and we all still get along.

Ditto Margaid, my daughter is now busy planning who she is having around over the 5 days. I said count us out, as a lot of the people will be young people who have been God knows where else. Luckily my day off is Christmas day, Then I am working until Jan 1st.
Even before the government allowed mixing I had a woman on the bus planning her food for the 3 days, as Christmas Eve 10 people round, 12 on the day and 18 Boxing day. Basildon Hospital look out

Return to “The Dustbath”