Coronavirus

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
dianefairhall
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: Coronavirus

Post by dianefairhall »

I don't have those problems, Marigold, but I expect there are many relieved people who hate Xmas, or at least the commercial travesty it has become, who are very pleased to be let off an annual chore. When I was a child (under 10 years) my maternal Granny laid on a big spread for most close relations. I've no idea how she afforded the food but it was an awful lot of work for her too. It was, however, the only "party" we had all year and mainly amicable, I have to say.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

I hope nowadays that the work is more equally divided between not just the husband but older children as well.
I’ve always rather enjoyed Christmas. The one I really hate is the alcohol fuelled false bonhomie of New Year. I really don’t want to be kissed by some drunken fool telling me what a great guy I am when the rest of the year they can hardly be bothered to speak with me.
And what’s with all this Halloween rubbish. Guy Fawkes Night is enough for November. It won’t be long before we have the U.K. Super Bowl and and are all snacking on Chilli Dogs.
I hope they show The Grinch again this year aka Hen-Gens Life Story!
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

Hen-Gen wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:58 am
I hope nowadays that the work is more equally divided between not just the husband but older children as well.
I’ve always rather enjoyed Christmas. The one I really hate is the alcohol fuelled false bonhomie of New Year. I really don’t want to be kissed by some drunken fool telling me what a great guy I am when the rest of the year they can hardly be bothered to speak with me.
And what’s with all this Halloween rubbish. Guy Fawkes Night is enough for November. It won’t be long before we have the U.K. Super Bowl and and are all snacking on Chilli Dogs.
I hope they show The Grinch again this year aka Hen-Gens Life Story!
Yes!! New Year's Eve always sees me at home, with a dvd or a book, and an early night. It's the one night of the year I do tend to be in bed before midnight! All the parties, with very loud laughter ringing false, and then the alcohol fuelled rages and fights.... Nah. Many years ago, I invited a friend & her son over on NYE, because she'd split from her abusive husband, and it was their first year alone. She was just dreading the evening, because she knew everyone was out celebrating, and found that unbearably sad. So, she and her son came over to me, and we decided we would toast the new year, and go to bed. But meanwhile, while we waited, we chatted about all sorts of stuff. Before we realised, it was 1.15, and we'd missed it! :lol: But, she realised through that that it's just another evening, and 1st Jan each year is just another day. Much the same as 31st December.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Don't see the point of New Year either. I usually volunteer to do the late late buses that run until after midnight, or start really early on Jan 1st.
OH doesn't want to stay up anyway. Luckily being rural we aren't subjected to fireworks from about 11.30-1.30
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

8C1594F8-3ADB-4D46-83FC-F70747F01FDA.png
8C1594F8-3ADB-4D46-83FC-F70747F01FDA.png (205.48 KiB) Viewed 275 times
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

bigyetiman wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:39 am
Don't see the point of New Year either. I usually volunteer to do the late late buses that run until after midnight, or start really early on Jan 1st.
OH doesn't want to stay up anyway. Luckily being rural we aren't subjected to fireworks from about 11.30-1.30
Earlier in the year it was Wesak. I let it be known that I wanted no visitors on that day. I ate vegetarian food, dressed totally in white and sidetracked any negative thoughts. Felt great!
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Wesak - That would have been back in May, right? The birth of the Buddha?

Whilst I can understand that it would be a disappointment for most people who have grown up in a nominally Christian-cum-materialist cultural background to have to scale back their celebrations this year, I think people of other faiths must be feeling that Boris doesn’t value their feelings so highly, since they have already had to forgo celebrations of equal importance to their communities. Also those thousands of people who were not allowed to attend truly important family occasions such as funerals. The whole emphasis on the importance of Christmas is treating the nation like children, I think. The idea of letting everyone have a few days driving around all over the country to thousands of superspreader gatherings, indoors, embracing each other and sharing food and drink, will really get things going again, just as the NHS reaches its peak time for hospital crises in Jan - Feb. And then doing it all over again for New Year!
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw »

I would agree that locking down, just to then open up for a Christmas super spreader event, which will then mean locking down again is absolute idiocy, but then that is now situation normal.

I think vaccines have been wonderful for health and peoples lives across the world. I have had so many vaccines in my life I have lost count. As well as the usual culprits I have had jabs for typhoid, hepA, hepB, rabies, diphtheria and encephalitis. I won't be taking this one though.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

Why dinosaw?
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw »

Risk-reward Hen-Gen. They are vaccines developed in 7 months rather than 10-15 years, where medium and long term side effects are by definition, impossible to assess. They are also a types of vaccine that have never been used before. They will be rushed through regulatory approval with indemnities from civil lawsuits for both Pfizer and Moderna. I mean what could possibly go wrong?.

I think it is also worth saying that nobody knows how long it will provide protection for and the data sample for severe covid is incredibly small. Only 10/21500 in the Pfizer placebo group got sever covid versus 1/21500 in the vaccine group.

If I were in my 70's or older then I would probably think it was a risk worth taking, but I'm not, in I'm in my 40's. In fact i doubt I will be eligible for any vaccine until next summer at the soonest.

Return to “The Dustbath”