Coronavirus

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
LadyA

Re: Coronavirus

Post by LadyA »

bigyetiman wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:31 am
:lol: :-)08 :-)08

We went and did our panic buying yesterday. 4 trays of winter pansies, 2 bottles of wine, some tuna, newspaper, milk. That should see us through.
We did get a few strange looks as everyone else had trolleys full. In our defence, perhaps the paper was over the top, but it was for mum
TWO bottles of wine?? Not expecting a long lockdown then?

Yesterday, I put in industrial shelving to tidy up the room I do my wine making in. There seemed to me to be demijohns all over the place. Now they are all neatly on a shelf. To my surprise, it looks like I was quite enthusiastic this year. There are NINE full demijohns, but only one from last year is ready to drink!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

dianefairhall
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by dianefairhall »

Had our flu jabs today. Just as we were getting ready to go out I had a phone call from NHS Western Isles Health Board asking if I wanted to make an appointment for...a flu jab!
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden »

I have one every year as I'm asthmatic. This year though, my GP's surgery are struggling to get any vaccine. So much for vaccinating everyone- they can't do anyone...
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

I've had mine too. I've been getting the flu jab for over 20 years, since I got a horrendous bout of flu. Was so sick, I couldn't get to bed, never mind a doctor or hospital. My husband was away at the time, and dau was about 11 or 12. She, bless her, was taking care of both of us, and getting herself to school too. I got over the flu, but was quite ill with a "post viral syndrome" for about 2 1/2 years after. Was allergic to just about everything. I was eventually given a three page list of things I reacted to (everything I ate seemed to go straight through, without touching the sides!). Eventually, I recovered and can now eat most things. Not tuna fish though (although I'm ok with other kinds), and not shellfish. And too much sugar gives me headaches. But otherwise, it came good. I have asthma, am caring for my very frail mother, and of course, have regular contact with poultry, all of which means I'm on the "priority" list. At the moment, here, they are giving it to those on the priority list including the elderly, and they will be getting more stocks in a staggered supply over the next month or so.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Our flu jabs are booked in next week. Today there is a big event here - our heating engineer is coming to service our elderly (13 years) boiler. He will be the first person over our doorstep since March. Tony is going to stay in the living room with the dog, and I shall be working in the front garden, greet him, and let him in to do the job. He’s been here before and knows the way. The kitchen and front door and windows will be left open, hand sanitiser by the boiler on the worktop for him, he will wear a mask. Contactless payment by online invoice and bank transfer later. Tony is a bit paranoid about all this but I pointed out the possible consequences of a boiler breakdown in winter, in lockdown, over what remains of Christmas ....
Dentist tomorrow. Also counts as essential. Last week I got an amazing emergency appointment when the tooth I had been nursing, where a filling had fallen out weeks before, totally collapsed and made my muesli extra crunchy. Receptionist at our local dentist said there was one appointment that morning, at their Andover practice, 10 miles away, in 20 minutes time if I could get there. Tooth was re-filled and now I have another appointment for x-rays and further checks.
Still chasing any news of results from a CT chest scan I had 2 months ago. I’ve been given a telephone appointment for the end of April, 9 months after the scan. Not a lot of use to me and my GP if I get ill this winter. I could have had a baby in that time, if still equipped to do so, although with my 80th birthday on the horizon, I’m quite glad not to be pregnant ATM, on the whole. One less complication!
dianefairhall

Post by dianefairhall »

Icemaiden wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:19 am
I have one every year as I'm asthmatic. This year though, my GP's surgery are struggling to get any vaccine. So much for vaccinating everyone- they can't do anyone...
Sorry to hear that, IM. It doesn't seem to be a problem in Scotland. GP surgeries are not responsible for it this year, the flu jab programme is organised by the local Health Boards and uses their nurses. Our jabs were done at our local GP surgery, but I understand that in other parts of Scotland people are having them in village halls, scout huts, etc.

I hope you manage to get one soon, IM - I'm asthmatic too and would be very unhappy if that happened to me.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

dianefairhall wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:59 pm
Icemaiden wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:19 am
Sorry to hear that, IM. It doesn't seem to be a problem in Scotland. GP surgeries are not responsible for it this year, the flu jab programme is organised by the local Health Boards and uses their nurses. Our jabs were done at our local GP surgery, but I understand that in other parts of Scotland people are having them in village halls, scout huts, etc.

I hope you manage to get one soon, IM - I'm asthmatic too and would be very unhappy if that happened to me.
I never knew that!
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
dianefairhall

Post by dianefairhall »

I think it's only because of the CV19 pandemic, Hen-Gen, but don't know why. It could be to do with social distancing. OH's appt was for 4pm, mine was 4.15 but we went in together anyway and were out in less than ten minutes, so the next appt would have been at 4.30. Didn't see anyone else apart from the nurses.
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

Marigold wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:26 pm
Thank goodness for Michael Rosen.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/ ... othingness
It's a fascinating and scary account.

Return to “The Dustbath”