Batten down the hatches

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Margaid

Re: Batten down the hatches

Post by Margaid »

Outside is OK, but in the bathroom???? It means she can hear it - but at least she knows it's the wind and not a banshee!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Luckily we have avoided the really heavy rain here, although we are in for a few hours of heavy rain this morning. two days of howling wind is a bit much though. Luckily the big walk in coop is in a very sheltered corner, and it was very quiet and cosy when I went in there this morning. It is big enough to hang a feeder in there if the weather is really bad, yesterday the new girls soon went from their coop into there, as the run was very windy, the feeder is sheltered though. This coop was a real godsend during the "Beast from the East", the hens all hunkered in there quite happily for the week all disputes put aside.
We had a friend who's house was flooded and they said clearing two feet of thick mud from the inside of the house was the worst, and the smell of damp water just lingers long after the event, luckily their was no sewage involved.
The Rooks and Jackdaws from the rookery, seem to be enjoying the wind as well they are wheeling around seeming to enjoy it.
We went to the Minack Theatre one February to have a look, and there had been a bad storm, and sitting in the café with the windows facing the cliffs was wonderful watching the waves crash up the cliffs, and the Fulmars, effortlessly mastering the wind, and gliding around happily.
Stay safe everyone
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

Margaid wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:12 pm
Something on her bathroom window catches the wind and it howls and screams like a banshee - I could hear it down the 'phone.

Stay indoors as much as possible and stay safe everyone.
Maybe it's not the window. When the wind is in a certain direction, there are similar howls and shrieks in my bathroom. I thought it was the window, but I finally traced it down to the bath drain!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

In our house, when there's a NE wind, it howls and moans over the top of the outside ventilation pipe from the bathroom loo. One if the sounds of a cold winter, not heard this year yet.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

Recognise that one. In my case it’s the chimney from my living room gas fire. A constant howl today.
For weeks now the fields have been completely sodden. No one can remember a winter like it. And yet curiously the sheep who at other times start limping at the mention of rain are walking about just fine. Costing a bit in hay but I don’t begrudge them eating it. And praying they have twins. The triplets of last year are not something I want repeated.
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

I saw 80mph winds forecast for Shetland today, HenGen. I hope you stay safe, and online!
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

At last. Two dry days with only a gentle breeze forecast. Goodbye Goretex, goodbye hats, chickens free ranging, sheep not huddled with their back ends in to the wind. Now I know those sayings “February is the cruellest month” and “March, in like a lion and out like a lamb” but right now with the snowdrops out and the catkins emerging it feels good to me.
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

Um, what about the forecast snow????
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

Margaid wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:26 pm
Um, what about the forecast snow????
Not this far north. 😀
dianefairhall
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by dianefairhall »

No snow for us either. We get the odd snow shower but it disappears when it hits the ground. Fairly dry here today and winds very light. Hens look happy and not like drowned rats.

Return to “The Dustbath”