Batten down the hatches

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
dianefairhall
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: Batten down the hatches

Post by dianefairhall »

That's very interesting. The part of Yorkshire we lived in was called Craven so there were several Craven Arms although the most popular pub name was 'Craven Heifer' after an enormous beast bred in the area in the (I think) 18th century. There was also a 'Wensleydale Heifer' in the next dale.

I love finding out about place names and their origins, so you have answered a query I've had for a while, thank you.
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

Hatches all still battened down?? Here comes Storm Dennis. I'm ready to be done with these storms. I know we get them every year, and again in the Autumn, but I do hate them!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

Though it’s always a worry for the animals I have to admit I quite enjoy walking the dog in stormy weather. So long as I’m wearing suitable clothing there’s something uplifting about it. I get back home, make a coffee and feel like I’m king of the world.
Not convinced the dog enjoys it. It’s a balance between her love of walks and nearly being lifted off her feet. With her the concept of walking is alien. Either see sits or she runs at full speed. There’s no in between.
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

Oh, I hate the wind, Hen Gen. It gives me headaches, and generally makes me feel very on edge and jittery. Although I think the headaches are caused by the dropping air pressure. This morning I woke up with a headache. Think I'm going to hibernate for the weekend, with my knitting!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie »

The wind is starting up, here in Nottinghamshire. Now that tree is down in the pen, I don't have to worry about the girls. They can hide under the coop, where the food trough has been relocated, or in the small plastic covered shelter. Not keen on the wind either and hate reading about the tragedies on the news. Hope it passes quickly.
dianefairhall

Post by dianefairhall »

Second week-end of high winds here but rain, although heavy at times, nowhere near what others have had. Watching the Calderdale floods on the news, two weeks running and 4 times in 8 years. Unfinished storm defences washed away last week. Most of them have already lost everything - on the ground floor at least. How on earth do people cope with that?
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

It must be really difficult for them although sometimes it's not so much the loss as the mess. Fortunately the only time I've had to deal with largish quantities of water have been faulty plumbing which means the water is clean. It's the mud, muck off the roads (diesel, oil, salt) and in some cases sewage contamination that's is the real problem. Soaked plaster and brickwork which needs to dry out and maybe be replaced. Then they have the problem of getting insurance cover in the future.

Hopefully they had time to move precious things upstairs
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

Rain has almost stopped her in Shropshire - more wind blown drizzle than anything else but the wind is quite gusty. I haven't managed to work out quite why, but I do seem to be fairly sheltered here. My sister lives at the edge of water meadows leading down to the River Usk near Newport (S.Wales) - fortunately the land slopes so the back of her house is about 5 feet above the garden level which has two or three times in 40 years had about a foot of water at the bottom of the steps. Something on her bathroom window catches the wind and it howls and screams like a banshee - I could hear it down the 'phone.

Stay indoors as much as possible and stay safe everyone.
rick

Post by rick »

After a blustery day, with the chickens a bit anxious when going to roost due to the flapping tarps, it has settled down a lot. When its rough here in the Midlands - just know that the edges are getting a real pasting! But a friend in Birmingham made me laugh the other day when he said that looking at the garden window it was like there was someone outside continuously throwing buckets of water at it!
dianefairhall

Post by dianefairhall »

As my husband said earlier - at least it's cleaned the back windows! Our chooks haven't turned a hair (or a feather) I assume it's not so bad down at their level. They spend most of their time in the shrubbery and come out when I call them for food.

Margaid, we have several things outside that scream like banshees but we never find out what they are!

Return to “The Dustbath”