A shock to the cistern

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
LadyA

Re: A shock to the cistern

Post by LadyA » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:30 am

Hen-Gen wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:04 am

Is it true that French toilets are a sort of hole in the floor? I have heard of this. It would seem to accord with the “squatting” theory.
Not sure about France, but dau has come across them in Bulgaria. She hates them!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:12 pm

This forum is a constant source of entertainment and useful knowledge about things which don't have much relevance to my everyday life. Thank you for that, HenGen.
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:05 pm

Marigold wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:42 am
Alternatively -
https://www.theguardian.com/global/2019 ... revolution
They would need to be a vast improvement on the old "earth closet! One of my relatives had one when I was a little girl and I HATED using it! Sounds like you need fair bit of land too for the herring bone system and pond.

Back in the year dot, urine was collected I think either for tanning or the fulling industry.

You're right about squatter toilets Hen-gen. I need to renovate the bathing and loo facilities in my house and they offer me a "comfort loo". When I sit on it my feet are dangling off the floor!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:35 pm

I have come across those toilets in France Hen-Gen. Plus OH worked with an American in the '70s who refused to go to Belgium as it was common knowledge in the USA that the Belgium's hadn't discovered toilet paper :-)19 Where that idea sprung from heaven knows.
Around these parts people seem to think subways are public loos.
Doesn't some dyeing process used in India or African areas still use urine for one of the colours, sure I have seen it in on some travel programme. Bet there is an old book somewhere 1001 uses for urine.
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:28 pm

bigyetiman wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:35 pm

Doesn't some dyeing process used in India or African areas still use urine for one of the colours, sure I have seen it in on some travel programme. Bet there is an old book somewhere 1001 uses for urine.
Urine was used for tanning and softening leather. And it was also used to "fix" dyes.

See, though, what I want to know is, who discovered urine could be used for these purposes, and what on earth were they doing when they made the discovery?! :-)19
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
dianefairhall
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by dianefairhall » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:53 am

I have experienced the 'hole in the floor squatters' in France but they were just in public loos in my experience 30 years ago. I was younger then and could actually squat down. The indoor loos are normal.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:43 am

Dog faeces were also used in the tanning process, often wondered that myself, who sat there and thought "I wonder what happens if I pee on that cow hide"
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:34 pm

The faeces were white and firm back then - much as they were in my childhood when dogs were fed kitchen scraps and offal. There were "turd collectors" but unfortunately just collecting dog turds would have made little difference to the cleanliness of the streets!

Return to “The Dustbath”