Christmas 2019

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Marigold

Re: Christmas 2019

Post by Marigold » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:54 pm

dianefairhall wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:07 pm
Merry Xmas, everybody. I'm just going to write on my Christmas egg!
Have you decided who gets it for breakfast?
Give the others a good talking-to!
dianefairhall
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by dianefairhall » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:04 pm

I think they are going to be a while yet - their combs aren't yet developed. But Izzie is doing sterling service - she lays every day!
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:35 pm

Marigold wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:43 pm
I liked this. It's specially for my new friend on Facebook, aka Margaid. Happy Christmas!
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -day-alone
It is so true Marigold It's so difficult to convince people that you like being on your own; they hate the thought of it and it makes them feel ungenerous and uncaring. There are far more needy people that need a Christmas lunch cooked for them. I usually cook a turkey breast with Gooseberry and Lemon stuffing which has been used since I was 14, pigs in blankets, sprouts with chestnuts etc etc, all things I like. I haven't this year, I had a cup of Bovril and a banana but nay cook a chicken fillet this evening and share it with Smokey and Oscar (Pickle and Misty aren't interested.) I hope that by the time my sister reappears from Christmas with her son I'll be up to eating turkey and all the trimmings. She'll miss the Gooseberry and Lemon stuffing because only her and her son like it and she isn't cooking the dinner.

I've managed to get the DVD player I picked up on local Freegle working with the small TV my sister gave me so can watch the DVD given to me by Suffolk friends all about the River Deben. (I lived in Woodbridge for 27 years.) It means I can watch it in the sitting room with little Miss Houdini!
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:18 pm

Glad you're OK Margaid. Here's the cartoon you wanted to post from Facebook to here, for BYM.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (117.92 KiB) Viewed 137 times
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:56 pm

I gave the girls their Christmas lunch treat today, a small can of luncheon meat to share. Stuck a skewer through the meat and stuck it into the ground for them to share. As my Nana would say.... "they wolfed it down like 1 o'clock". (Never understood that phrase). Back to cabbage greens tomorrow. :-)
Had a lovely walk in the forest after lunch, so peaceful. Hope everyone else is having a relaxing day.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:52 pm

Brilliant, just watch I should have as a Christmas card. Thanks for sharing
We had a nice peaceful day also, just the two of us, hens running around garden in the sunshine, lake back to normal and wildfowl in it's normal place.
Got lot's of little model airman painted for my airfield tableaux for the next model show.
Back to the maddening hordes tomorrow, Next opens it's doors at Lakeside at 5am, like last year we will have buses fully loaded from 4am no doubt like last year. perhaps I should have put my name down for rail replacement :D :D
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:08 am

Morning all!
I had a lovely day yesterday too, in spite of coming down with the plague! Hacking cough, sore throat, literal pain in the face from sinuses, and generally feeling washed out. However, needs must. So I dolled myself up (ok. I got dressed.) loaded up the car with way too many gifts for dau and son in law and their two tinies, and collected mum. I had spent the morning cooking potatoes & veg, had some ham cooked and sliced and ready to be reheated, and had left a turkey, prepared and ready to go into the oven, over to dau on Christmas Eve night. We had a lovely day and food was delicious. Little grandson was horrified when his dad set the pudding alight! "Daddy! Don't burn the cake!"

Last night I was tucked up in bed, dosed with night nurse, but coughed through the night. I do feel better (if a little groggy) this morning though, and not coughing nearly as much. I'm still in my jammies, and don't see that changing soon!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:15 am

Best thing for clearing sinuses is Menthol and Eucalyptus steam inhalation. The heat soothes the pain, angle of the head helps them drain and the M & E clears them. Let the water cool before putting your face over it or you'll be scalded by the steam. Hope you're better soon.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:20 pm

My never- failing sinus clearance is Otrovine Nose Drops. Hang your head back over the side of the bed, insert two drops in each nostril, wait for them to drain up into your sinuses - you will feel them bonging away up there, becoming almost painfully effective in the first two minutes - then blissful breathing is restored, sleep becomes possible and the effect lasts all night. There is a version that you squirt and sniff up, but it's not nearly so effectivem as the drops. I hope you're feeling better soon, LadyA, and that the rest of your family don't go down with it.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:48 am

Or as my mum used to say when I was a kid,
“ Take the medicine and it will be gone in 72 hours. Do nothing and it will last a full three days”.
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm

Return to “The Dustbath”