Heartwarming stories

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Marigold

Re: Heartwarming stories

Post by Marigold »

How's your Christmas shopping getting on?
This woman has skills!
https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/rel ... 2-C7syJmI4
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Boy doesn't she just. Christmas shopping going well here. OH farming friends are all getting Owl or Kestrel boxes kindly delivered from the Barn Owl Centre in Gloucester, so no searching around shops. We are doing well for Owls and Kestrels around here so everyone is keen to assist them in every way. Mrs & Mrs Tawny Owl here are very vocal at moment.
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

Christmas shopping going well here too. More or less done. I do hampers of food for my brothers and dau's family, including home made cake & pudding, home made relishes, and jams or lemon curd, crackers and cheeses/pate (not home made!) and some home made fudge, chocolates, etc.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

Wow! An expensive time for you guys. A romantic card for the nearest and dearest is as far as it goes in my world.
But we do have a community lunch on January 11th which includes a lucky dip Secret Santa. (It’s an Old Yule Gregorian calendar thing) My three gifts this year are:-
A coffee mug with a picture of a pubic louse on it
A book from Amazon entitled ‘How not to be a Walking Pile of ****’
and
A life of Jesus colouring book.

But curiously the fact that I have a stock of good gins and tonic at this time of year seems to make me suddenly popular.
And no First Footing here. I did enquire about this a few years back and was firmly told “we’re Vikings not Scots”.

Nearly forgot. The riotous Fire Festival at the end of January called Up Helly Aa. The schools close, the shops shut, all public transport ceases and Boots stocks vast quantities of hangover cures for the following day.
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Always fancied watching Up Helly Aa looks fantastic, nice that everything grinds to a halt for the day as well.
I can see you put a lot of thought into the Secret Santa. Where on earth did you find the mug :-)19
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

Ah, Hen Gen, I still remember Dark Brown Egg's description of the Up Helly Aa festival when she visited there. Her descriptions and photos were so full of life, you could tell how much she had enjoyed it.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

So do I now you’ve referred to her. Her black and white striped bus was the talk of the island for 5 minutes.
My favourite recollection of her visit to these parts was when she drove to the embarkation point for the ferry to the island of Foula and enquired of the ferry man whether they were fully booked or whether there was space for her bus on the ferry. His response of
“ no, but we could put the ferry on your roof rack and float over to the island” struck me as very funny at the time.
F7B1FE68-FAEF-44F3-9268-283F3C7919CA.jpeg
F7B1FE68-FAEF-44F3-9268-283F3C7919CA.jpeg (33.54 KiB) Viewed 99 times
The Foula Ferry
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Margaid

Post by Margaid »

Marigold wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:58 pm
it's a man's job....
https://www.facebook.com/Julene100/vide ... 8022/?t=31
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I loved reading about Dark Brown Eggs and TheBus. She was so adventurous as by that time her health an mobility weren't good.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

:D :D :D :D :D
Loved dark brown eggs tales as well. She was a plucky lady

Return to “The Dustbath”