Is there no limit to human stupidity?

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
MrsBiscuit

Re: Is there no limit to human stupidity?

Post by MrsBiscuit » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:48 pm

I think I've had a sense of humour failure as I also couldn't read to the end. When some people are having to use food banks.....
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:58 am

chrismahon wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:34 am
Liked the gold toilet. The poshest one I ever saw was by the Tomas Crapper Company- contrary to popular opinion TC didn't invent the flushing toilet, just the ballcock and the water trap parts.
The nicest ones I've ever seen are in a Castle converted to a hotel! They are "antique" (is there such thing as an antique loo?), beautifully decorated with flowers etc.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:28 am

MrsBiscuit wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:48 pm
I think I've had a sense of humour failure as I also couldn't read to the end. When some people are having to use food banks.....
I’m not saying this to be controversial but I get that feeling whenever I read of anyone spending what must be considerable sums of money on vets fees for a poorly chicken. If it’s something I can’t cure myself then it’s decapitation with my meat cleaver. Hens past their productive lives and breeding cockerels I no longer need meet this fate.
I love my dog but I would not consider spending hundreds/thousands of pounds on her as some owners do.

This is not to say I’m heartless at least not in my opinion. I will do whatever I can to give all my animals a high quality of life but when a serious illness threatens then it’s euthenasia.
I include myself in this. I am not going to run up tens of thousands in bills for the NHS. One way or another morphine will solve my problems.
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:10 pm

It's becoming all too common with these pampered pets. The worst case I saw was last year in a small town in Nottinghamshire. A woman pushing a pram with a tiny chihuahua sat in there, wearing a pink tutu !! These folk must have lost the plot.
If people are talking behind your back, then just fart. :-)10
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:44 am

Hen-Gen wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:28 am
MrsBiscuit wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:48 pm
I’m not saying this to be controversial but I get that feeling whenever I read of anyone spending what must be considerable sums of money on vets fees for a poorly chicken. If it’s something I can’t cure myself then it’s decapitation with my meat cleaver. Hens past their productive lives and breeding cockerels I no longer need meet this fate.
I love my dog but I would not consider spending hundreds/thousands of pounds on her as some owners do.

This is not to say I’m heartless at least not in my opinion. I will do whatever I can to give all my animals a high quality of life but when a serious illness threatens then it’s euthenasia.
I'm the same. I was recently castigated soundly on an FB poultry page for advising that a commercial type hybrid, who, from the pic that was posted, was clearly extremely ill, should be culled. I explained that with my own, if one appears even slightly off colour, they all get a strong dose of Herban for a few days, and the suspect hen is given around 48 hours to show signs of improvement. If she doesn't improve, I cull her. I feel that this is far kinder than subjecting the hen to a lot of handling, being stuffed in a box and enduring a long car journey to a vet, who, let's be honest, are usually only guessing where chickens are concerned. A swift end, in their own surroundings.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:33 pm

A friend of ours always said, if you want to make money design something for pets.
In several pubs in Scotland we came across dog drinking stations which was a shelf with 3 glass barrels on filled with tap water, Highland spring water, or Evian water. With a range of different bowls by the side for you to use. They should have had a barrel of mucky puddle water as well as most dogs seem to prefer that
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:04 pm

And so do most chickens!
I often see ice creams for dogs when on holiday. I sometimes let her share a lick of the end of my cone, but have no desire to share hers!
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:11 pm

Today's entry in the Human Stupidity Stakes. Especially the follow-up comments on Facebook by the girlfriend!
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... n-tanzania
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:48 pm

One for the Darwin Awards methinks.
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:02 pm

Marigold wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:11 pm
Today's entry in the Human Stupidity Stakes. Especially the follow-up comments on Facebook by the girlfriend!
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... n-tanzania
The whole of one's live has to be on Facebook it seems otherwise maybe you don't exist! I'm fond of my friends but I don't need/want to know that they are having coffee somewhere in Shrewsbury or are at a restaurant in Bristol!

Looks like the prospective bridegroom forgot he had to have enough breath left to get back up to the surface :( :roll:

Return to “The Dustbath”