Is there no limit to human stupidity?

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Marigold

Is there no limit to human stupidity?

Post by Marigold » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:38 pm

I'm being careful not to show this to my dog. She might get ideas, more about the food than the dressing up, and I know she would hate the grooming, being happier hunting under hedges than having blueberry facials.
But oh dear - half the world is starving and homeless, and this is happening?
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ering-boom
Margaid

Re: Is there no limit to human stupidity?

Post by Margaid » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:27 pm

The simple answer is "no" Marigold. I bet these same people wouldn't buy a beggar a cup of tea or donate to a food bank.

I gave up reading the article before I threw up! I love my four cats, even when there are live short- tailed voles running around my bedroom; I take note of their food preferences (one likes jelly, one likes gravy and the other two only eat one particular wet food and have done for the seven months I've had them. They all eat dried food as well.
I've developed the knack of getting them in the cat carrier but the vet is less than half a mile away. I can't imagine trying to take them any distance.

Anyway, I can't afford that sort of stuff for me even if I wanted it! My cats are perfect happy enjoying the outdoors and as much stroking and cuddles as they want.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:33 pm

We live about 15mins drive from Brentwood, and my company run a bus service there, and yes I would believe it as it is the home of The Only Way is Essex (or TOWIE) as it is known, and I regularly see dogs in rainbow colours, painted nails, designer jackets that match the owners outfit, not to mention the little dogs carried around in bags all day. Guess they are having this inflicted on them whilst their owner is being botoxed and having their lips inflated to strange shapes and sizes.

We both agree that this should be made illegal and the owners prosecuted for animal cruelty
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:00 pm

And here's another strange story to ponder. Gets the prize for headline of the year, anyway.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... e-cattelan
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:10 pm

All things are relative. Some people here laugh at me for feeding my dog on Eukanuba when you can buy Dr Johns at a third of the price.
Last night I watched a programme about a wild life hospital. A fox received complicated surgery on its thigh bone, convalescence and subsequent release. My thought was why not euthanise it and give the money to a conservation charity. But in the end it’s all about a human need to nurture.
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:31 pm

Scoffing at someone who feeds his dog appropriate, good-quality food seems to me to be the opposite of what this article is talking about!
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:33 am

My two cats are "special needs" and have to be indoor only. They are both on a veterinary diet (urinary). That's as far as I go with "pampering".

I read about the gold loo, Marigold. You'd have to wonder why anyone thought a gold loo was a good idea in the first place. I mean, does it give people some sort of feeling of power or importance, to know they are p****ng on gold? All very weird.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:34 am

I don’t know LadyA but if that’s what they want to spend their money on then so be it. After all we all own stuff and to some extent what we own is an expression of who we are and who we aspire to be.
In my case it’s books, CDs, food and drink. Certainly all four of these can be a vehicle for my innate snobbery and elitism.
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:34 am

Liked the gold toilet. The poshest one I ever saw was by the Tomas Crapper Company- contrary to popular opinion TC didn't invent the flushing toilet, just the ballcock and the water trap parts. A customer wanted two TC toilets for her reception hall, until she saw the price. Even with my trade discount they were over £2000 each! Needless to say she settled for the £50 common version.

Pampered pets reminds me of a couple from Holland our friends here know. They no longer work we were told because they earn so much from dressing up their dogs in daft outfits and being paid to take them to shows.
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:00 pm

Nice work if you can get it ...

Return to “The Dustbath”