This is heartening

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
bigyetiman

Re: This is heartening

Post by bigyetiman »

Love that quote to Margaid.
I agree Hen-Gen as the poem goes "what is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare"
Hated poetry at school, yet now I truly appreciate it

Some people are definitely born old, I have an aunt that has always seemed 70. At least now she is 80 she looks younger
Ellen Barry
Newcomer / Hatchling

Post by Ellen Barry »

Talk about the islands and temperatures. here in TN we get to choose between 2 things: Hot and humid or hot and rain. Temperatures in the nineties or hundreds. (Usually 32C-37 C and sometimes 45C) My ancestors came from the Shetlands. Perhaps move back? Is it getting any warmer there? lol
Our chickens are hiding in the shade. Installing a small coop fan tomorrow. They don't like the big fan.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

TN? Is that Tasmania? Or Tennessee? The Netherlands?
It allegedly hit 21C last Saturday which is the hottest day in the ten years I’ve lived here. All settlers welcome!
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit »

And whilst the rest of Europe has record breaking temperatures and excess rain in some places, in Portugal we are experiencing the coolest summer for many many years, and rain in July and August which isn't the norm at all, in fact it hasn't rained here in either month for the past 6 years that we have been here.

I have to say I am a strong believer in the DT quotation as well, possibly because I am also partly Welsh and it made a big impression on me when I first read the poem as a teenager, and possibly because my health is currently good, I might think differently if I was in a bad way. Like BYM my memory for most poetry is bad, the only thing which readily springs to mind is the first verse of Tyger, Tyger, which is slightly childlike I always think. But then we weren't taught it by rote, my mother can still quote all sorts of things from childhood, but then she is Welsh and her father was a quiet poet, she still reads poetry (particularly at times of death and memoriam) I think its bred in the bone.
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

"To be born Welsh is to be born privileged, not with a silver spoon in your mouth but with music in your heart and poetry in your soul."

Unknown quotation seen on a card.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Not to mention a most wonderful accent when you speak English. So melodic and calming.

Return to “The Dustbath”