This is heartening

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
rick

This is heartening

Post by rick »

RSPCA reports KFC signing up -
"We're 'thrilled' as KFC commits to improving chicken welfare"
https://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/lates ... 0week%207/

Both from the point of view of the supplier and the reported expectations of consumers that they are reacting to (otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.)
Marigold

Re: This is heartening

Post by Marigold »

That's excellent news, Rick. A step on the way - but It's still better to buy organic chicken if possible, though, as standard are higher. Even the new minimum standards are pretty poor, compared with organic, let alone what we all provide for our lovely birds.
Shadrach
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by Shadrach »

I stopped eating any shop bought or restaurant chicken many years ago.
I do eat a chicken from the tribes here occasionally.
My meat consumption in general is very low.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

That all important word is “provenance”. Over the last three days I have eaten a leg of lamb (roast lamb, cold lamb salad and shepherds pie). Because I know it was humanely reared, by me, and killed quickly and mercifully I was happy to do so. Equally I’m happy with my own eggs.
Killed a bullock three months ago but due to a broken freezer we had to sell all of it. But had I kept a half then I would have been equally happy to eat it because I know it had three years roaming in the fields with its herd mates.
Obviously I’m in an environment where I can do this but we can all buy respectfully. I’m currently looking at salmon and the pollution related to their intensive production. Fortunately mussels and oyster and most sea fish are relatively clean and green.
But we should never forget plant production. As far as we know plants are not sentient but the desecration associated with crop production is very serious ranging from habitat destruction (palm oil and orangutans) to fertiliser run off and the destruction of aquatic wild life.
Conversely we have to recognise that by nature of our very existence we are consumers on a scale never seen before on our planet. Whatever adjustments we make it is doubtful we can ever feed nd meet the energy needs of 7 billion people. But humanity to animals is both the right thing to do and spiritually enriching to ourselves. On my table as I write this is a half read book called Buddhism and Ecology. Perhaps my thoughts have been activated by reading this!
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
rick

Post by rick »

Couldn't agree more all round. But we are an unusual bunch! (on the cutting edge of chicken welfare.) The numbers always send me reeling - 1 billion broilers in the supply chain, living for 10 weeks maybe? so something like 4 or 5 billion a year going through.
What will be annoying is the inevitable idyllic scenes of chickens dancing merrily across daisy strewn grass that will be appearing in KFC advertising - but I guess that is all part of the change in public expectations.
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

rick wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:07 am
Couldn't agree more all round. But we are an unusual bunch! (on the cutting edge of chicken welfare.) The numbers always send me reeling - 1 billion broilers in the supply chain, living for 10 weeks maybe? so something like 4 or 5 billion a year going through.
What will be annoying is the inevitable idyllic scenes of chickens dancing merrily across daisy strewn grass that will be appearing in KFC advertising - but I guess that is all part of the change in public expectations.
I don't think the people who write the marketing bullshit have ever seen a live chicken. :roll:
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Shadrach wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:28 pm
rick wrote:
I don't think the people who write the marketing bullshit have ever seen a live chicken. :roll:
MOST people, especially children, have never seen a live chicken, at least up close.
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

Marigold wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:32 pm
Shadrach wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:28 pm
rick wrote:
MOST people, especially children, have never seen a live chicken, at least up close.
A lot of people where I live keep chickens and have done for generations. Almost all on the mountain I live on keep free range chickens, usually the local breed (The Catalana del Pratt) or Minorcan Blacks.
Most of the flocks are semi feral and many roost in the trees, or in farm buildings.
Fortunately the whole hatchery/breeder business doesn't feature here so many of the flocks are direct descendants of the healthy genetics that have survived here over the years. I don't know of anyone here who would set foot in KFC.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

I eat a lot more meat than OH, but like Hen-Gen we know where ours comes from, our neighbour, and we do know how it has led it's life. God knows how the meat in the fast food industry had been reared, and even if it is from the animal specified.
Our neighbour breeds Dexter cattle which are a smallish breed and someone asked her once if they were goats as they were too small to be cows, and why was her chicken so big, pointing at Charlie the goose. really proves your point Rick.
I think KFC's idea of being more responsible, will vastly differ from ours.
On a slightly different tack, brought some strawberries yesterday in Tesco (the squirrels ate ours before they were ripe).Grown in Kent, looked on the back and they were packed in Republic of Ireland then distributed from their Welyn Garden City distribution centre, and then delivered to Essex.
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

bigyetiman wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:32 am

On a slightly different tack, brought some strawberries yesterday in Tesco (the squirrels ate ours before they were ripe).Grown in Kent, looked on the back and they were packed in Republic of Ireland then distributed from their Welyn Garden City distribution centre, and then delivered to Essex.
This. This is what I hate about the food industry! How can it be so cheap to do all this shunting berries all over the map? And then they bang on about all they're doing to "reduce their carbon footprint"! Last Summer, I nearly had apoplexy in Tesco one day, on finding that they had green beans for sale for 49c. Those ones were imported from Kenya. They also had British green beans, as they were in season. Those ones were over €1, for the same amount.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!

Return to “The Dustbath”