Jeans

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Hen-Gen

Jeans

Post by Hen-Gen » Sat May 11, 2019 10:14 am

Refreshing change, isn’t it, to be talking about jeans rather than genes!

I always promised myself when I was young that I would never be one of those old crusties who witter on about how much better things were in my day. But the truth is that in some cases they were.
Take jeans. I’ve always worn Levi’s or Wranglers rather than dodgy makes. But since these firms outsourced their manufacturing to some Far Eastern country quality has gone down the pan. No longer the robust hard wearing denim of yesteryear but lightweight stuff that lasts no time at all. Fine if you spend your days in armchairs, watching soaps and drinking lager shandies but completely impractical for anyone who dares to use them in the roles for which they were invented.
Now I wouldn’t mind if prices had reduced accordingly. But now you need a second mortgage to buy half a dozen pairs (I do this because I hate clothes shopping so it only happens once every ten years). So if anyone has found a make that are any good then let me know. Someone mentioned Lee Coopers but I have never worn this brand.
Margaid

Re: Jeans

Post by Margaid » Sat May 11, 2019 10:53 am

But rips and worn patches are fashionable Hen-Gen! :D So is the appalling sight of the crotch being down at the knees. :-)03
I hate it when some so-called marketing expert changes the design detail of clothes that have fitted perfectly for years ...
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Sat May 11, 2019 4:05 pm

It's funny you mention this, as my Daughter wears Levi's and she's only been wearing this brand for 6 months or so. I agree, they used to be a middle range price and hard wearing, but now they appear to be the new fashion must-have. I don't know when they crept into the "designer" bracket, with equally ridiculous price tag. I believe Lee Cooper and Wrangler have gone down the same route.
I am not convinced of any brand at the moment, so I shop online at ASOS, Debenhams or, dare I admit it, in M+S. I have some denim cut-offs from M+S which have lasted 5 years so far and have worn regularly for gardening. I don't like paying a lot, because as you say, they don't seem to last and you cannot determine if you have paid £70 or £20 just by glancing at them. ;-)
Then there's the low rise, mid rise, high rise.... :-)07
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Sat May 11, 2019 7:39 pm

Tweetypie wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:05 pm

Boot cut, straight leg, slim leg ...
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Sat May 11, 2019 7:45 pm

Margaid wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:39 pm
Tweetypie wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:05 pm

Boot cut, straight leg, slim leg ...
.......... or in my case, loose fit. :D
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Sat May 11, 2019 8:23 pm

:-)10 :-)10 :-)10

Button fly, zip fly, pull ons for comfort and... s t r e t c h... :D
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat May 11, 2019 9:53 pm

I wear Rohan jeans, because they are the only brand I know that are not only well-cut and comfortable, but hardwearing and fit properly round the waist instead of sagging round the builder's bum line. They also have 5 excellent pockets in useful sizes, uncommon in women's jeans, including a concealed zipped pocket at the back which is big enough for a phone or purse. The kind I buy look like normal denim but have a blend of fibres so they wash and wear and dry faster than normal denim and don't need ironing, time after time after time. Some of my several pairs have been in regular use for about ten years without wearing out, even though frequently muddy and rubbed at the knees from kneeling whilst weeding etc. I have one lovely insulated pair for wearing in very cold weather, which are so well cut that they just look like normal ones, not padded and clumsy but blissfully warm. If I lived on Fetlar I would wear these all the time. I do have a couple of pairs which are cut with narrower legs, nothing extreme but they look a bit smarter and I try to remember to keep these for wearing when not gardening. They come in two lengths as well, so with my shorter legs I don't have to take them up. I keep an eye on the Rohan website as they sometimes have sales and offer the ones I want at a very much reduced price.
Not the cheapest, (and not the most expensive either) but you get what you pay for, i.e a good cut, quality materials and finish, and no stupid fashion extras or exaggerated features. They go on looking better as they age, and go with anything you wear on top.
bigjim
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by bigjim » Sun May 12, 2019 12:07 am

They tend to distress the material so much that it takes away the hard wearingness of it.
I had hen gen down as a dickies or carhart man.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Sun May 12, 2019 11:16 am

Well bigjim, I am a Dickies man. I have overalls and body warmers by this esteemed gentleman’s outfitters. But I had no idea that they made jeans but have just looked on Amazon and may go down that road.
Never heard of carhart!
Rohan clothing featured highly in my wardrobe in my roughie toughie rock climbing and caving days so I’ll look at their website too.
So far as I’m concerned I wear clothes to maintain a modicum of decency and to remain warm and dry. I do not wear them to project my personality, increase my sex appeal or to demonstrate my allegiance to any particular social group. The whole subject of clothing is slightly less interesting to me than watching paint dry. I’m sure I’d be drummed out of the Shetland LBGTQ group for holding such views were I a member of such a group in the first place!
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Sun May 12, 2019 12:47 pm

Asda- £6 a pair last time I bought some. Survive about a year (bit longer if you patch them), so good value, unlike their work socks which disintegrate within a few washes. Still have 4 pairs left so it will be a while before I have to buy French. There is a Company started making recycled jeans here- basically they grind up the old jean fabric from clothes banks and re-weave it. Can't see them lasting 5 minutes and they cost a fortune!

Return to “The Dustbath”