Household bygones

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Tweetypie

Re: Household bygones

Post by Tweetypie » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:44 pm

I miss the humble potato masher. The one with the small steel holes at the bottom and long handle, not the plastic ones with short handles, (Ive snapped a few), nor the completely steel ones with quiggly mash area. Excuse the description. :-)07 Maybe they are still produced?
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:50 pm

I still have one - part of a Prestige kitchen tool set which is now 46 years old!
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:52 am

I don't have any carpets, but do have a hand-made rug, bought by my husband on a trip to the Middle East many years ago. It's a bit of a pain, because vacuuming doesn't really get it clean. The only way to really get the dust out is to put it over the washing line and beat it. So, for years, I longed for an old fashioned carpet beater - the Willow kind. And finally, I found one!! I was so pleased! Mind you, it wasn't cheap. But it was so worth it, because I can tell you, using a brush or a shovel to beat the rug doesn't work nearly as well!

I have a pressure cooker/canner. I use it occasionally for bottling beef in kilner jars. But I don't use it often, because I'm terrified of it! I've never cooked in it. The noise of them as they cook - they always seem slightly hysterical! I am, however, a devotee of the slow cooker. I have two now, and used to have three (like the three bears, small, medium and large!) I use the smaller one mostly now. and would use it every week. I'll be taking out the large one on Sunday though, because I'm having guests on Monday, so will be cooking a stew overnight.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:38 am

I grew up with my mother using a pressure cooker so I'm used to the hissing. It was always used to cook and reheat the Christmas puddings although there was one memorable Christmas when she opened the cooker and found she had somehow forgotten to put the pudding in.

I can't get on with a slow cooker; all the recipes talk about reducing the temperature at some point and I thought the whole idea was to switch it on and leave it so you came how to a meal ready to eat.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:47 am

It depends on the model you have - the better ones will heat the food to simmering point fairly fast, and then can be switched to very gentle heat to finish the cooking and keep it warm. I have one, and used to use it a lot when making large quantities of mince or stew for the freezer, but now we've gone back to being largely vegetarian I have less use for it.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:38 pm

Still have a prestige potato masher also, came from grandma's house, and the spatula and the other items that made the set.
Love the slow cooker, I just switch it on and leave it.
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:34 pm

Prestige things, they all had a blue, white and turquoise stripe on the handle as I recall?

I bought my Mum a slow cooker, a small one, in January this year. You just switch it on and away you go, very cheap and very easy to use, and so far she is a fan. We have one, it does stews and hams pretty well, but nothing you would want to brown, but there is no messing about with the temperature.
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:08 pm

It's not exactly household, but my C reg Vauxhall Nova had a great feature that I've never seen since. You could blow warmed air at your body & hands while blowing cool air at your face at the same time. Great for keeping you alert on long journeys.

Also the head rest had a gap in the middle of it, perfect if you drove while wearing a hairclip.
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:50 am

Marigold wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:47 am
It depends on the model you have - the better ones will heat the food to simmering point fairly fast, and then can be switched to very gentle heat to finish the cooking and keep it warm. I have one, and used to use it a lot when making large quantities of mince or stew for the freezer, but now we've gone back to being largely vegetarian I have less use for it.
I rarely cook meat, usually only when I have guests. I tend to live on vegetable & bean/lentil soup, so I make large pots in the slow cooker and then just keep it in the fridge and heat it as I need it for several days. Soup & bread. Yummy! Dau even bought me a special "soup & bread" set for my birthday a couple of years ago - a soup bowl with a spoon that fits neatly into the handle, and it sits on one side of a plate that has plenty of room for your bread. Best pressie ever! I use it most days.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:12 am

Lovely gallery of pics of a worker's terraced house restored and decorated as it might have been in Victorian times. None of this new-fangled nonsense!
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... n-pictures

Return to “The Dustbath”