Household bygones

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
bigyetiman

Household bygones

Post by bigyetiman » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:57 pm

Just been reading an article where people had been asked what item they missed most from yesteryear and would like to see brought back. Top of the list was Goblin teas made, followed by Belling bed warmer, which I remember my parents using for many a year. Spong mincer featured strongly as well.
Made me wonder what you household item you miss and would like to see brought back
Marigold

Re: Household bygones

Post by Marigold » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:15 pm

I can't think of anything - on the whole, things for everyday living have got so much better. I remember wash day - washing the clothes by hand in the kitchen sink, then carrying them dripping wet to the outside shed and helping to turn the handle of our mangle to squeeze out some of the water. Quite fun in summer, but horrible in winter when the water gushed all over your feet, and then you had to hang wet clothes on a wooden clothes horse to dry, totally masking any heat from the fire, in the days before central heating or washing machines. I also remember having an ineffectual metal box on the wall in the yard outside the kitchen, which was a bit cooler than inside in summer, where we kept the milk and meat and anything else which spoiled in the heat. I was 8 when we got our first fridge, a big box with very little room inside as the insulation was so thick, waiting in vain for it to produce the ice cubes it never seemed to manage. And I'd much rather have an electric blanket than a hot water bottle.

Still, I suppose that, if and when global disaster strikes, if I'm still around then, I shall say 'When I was a kid, we had a lovely mangle to help with the washing, and a useful outside box to help keep the food cool, and a cosy rubber bottle full of hot water to warm us up at night ...'
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:38 pm

I have stopped, and thought, and I can't come up with anything! This probably indicates a lack of imaginative memory rather than anything else, but seriously, I can't think of any objects were better in the old days - except perhaps they were made to last, whereas nowadays many things have built in obsolesence and/or its cheaper to buy another one so you don't bother repairing the old one. When I moved into my own flat my parents gave me their 30 year old cooker and fridge and bought themselves new ones, and the cooker lasted till I sold the flat about 10 years later, although I did have to replace the fridge. I sometimes wish I could come up with a new use for all those 1950s/60s/70s coffee sets with stylish coffee pots (if you like that sort of thing) because I use a cafetiere mostly, not the old glass jug and filter type coffee maker, so there is no need to decant it into a pot. Actually, I also really like glass wine decanters, but nowadays, who bothers!
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:40 pm

I think most of the old things can still be found if you search even though they’ve been eclipsed by new technology. But two years ago I invested in a pressure cooker. When I was a lad every household had one. As a way of cooking second grade meat with minimal use of power they were good. Sure the slow cooker is a great device if you can wait.
So the PC is my return to yesteryear. Braised Oxtail - yum yum!
PS Always hated electric blankets. Bottles are OK but bring back those bed warmers!
Island of Fetlar, Shetland
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:51 pm

I totally agree about PCs HG, the best way to cook a ham in my opinion. But, the old fashioned ones were lethal. You took your life in your hands, in case they exploded, which my parents' one did. To this day I haven't dared buy one, although I am sure they are much safer.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:57 am

We had a pressure cooker 'explode' years ago and never used one again. The safety valve stuck and when it was tapped with a spoon the valve opened shooting the entire boiling contents (potatoes) over the kitchen ceiling. What would have happened if the valve wasn't freed I dread to think! The modern ones seem OK- great for pigs trotters.

Bought a scythe for cutting hay and a sickle for cutting undergrowth. So much better than using a strimmer and good exercise as well.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:03 am

And they’re great for softening aubergines before you flush them down the toilet!🤭🤭🤭
Island of Fetlar, Shetland
rick

Post by rick » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:05 am

I suppose, if we ever finally have robots the it will be 'Alexa, put the kettle on' (thinking about the Goblin teas maid.)
Hand tools, defiantly. What's the point of saving the effort with a power tool and then going to the gym?! Mind you I wouldn't take that as far as giving up the washing machine.
Old TVs with an ultrasonic remote so you can change channel by shaking some coins if you cant find the thing.
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:11 am

Hen-Gen wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:03 am
And they’re great for softening aubergines before you flush them down the toilet!🤭🤭🤭
Sickle and scythe or pressure cooker?

I've used a Prestige PC all my life for Christmas puddings, stews, soups, pulses (before I started buying them in cans) and also for marmalade.
Had to get a new one when I first had an induction hob (old one was aluminium) and they are much easier to use - no staggering to the sink to get it under the cold tap to reduce pressure quickly, just a flick of the control.

I also had a valve stick and tapped it with wooden spoon with similar results Chris. The valve would have melted eventually as the pintle was lead.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:39 pm

Intrigued Hen-Gen, do you often flush aubergine down the toilet, is it the latest eco friendly loo cleaner ?

Return to “The Dustbath”