Old Music

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Hen-Gen

Old Music

Post by Hen-Gen » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:22 am

OK. In the eighties I thought Jimmy Somerville was disco trash (Bronski Beat, Communards) How judgemental, how superficial. Recently bought a remastered, greatest hits album. Gets me dancing round my kitchen! Great anthems for those of us of minority sexual persuasion. The lyrics must have helped a lot of young folk back in the day when prejudice was rife and life was tough.

So any album you would say you’ve revisited in your dotage?
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Re: Old Music

Post by chrismahon » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:38 pm

Had a Zed Zeppelin night a while back, which was still great. But Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd have had their day.

We went through our entire LP and CD collection over the first few months we moved here (final move) because they were in storage for the 5 years previous, so inaccessible. Full volume, no neighbours so no problem.
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:57 pm

Must have been my dad's influence, but I love Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong and all those old Jazz greats. I also love the old "crooners", Sinatra, Andy Williams, etc etc. Easy listening. Also loved The Eurythmics, Yazoo (Alison Moyet's band in the '80s), and I loved Bronski Beat in the 80s too for exactly that lovely beat! And I tell you what, Hen-Gen! Even these days, if you want to get good exercise, there's nothing like Yazoo or Bronski Beat on an iPod to make you walk!! I used to have a treadmill at home, and with that music on, I could easily do 6.5kph for quite a while! I got rid of the treadmill because it took up so much room, but I really do miss it!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:35 pm

Ella Fitzgerald what a voice. I am a heavy metal fan myself, but since meeting OH I have become quite a classical fan and discovered 40's and 50's music which she loves. Says it comes from her parents listening to it. Some of the girls who sang with the Big Bands had amazing voices.
I could never understand in my youth why my parents liked the actor Jimmy Stewart so much. Now I am older I am much more appreciative of his acting
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:22 am

No what you mean about films, bigyetiman. I’m always happy to watch an old Ealing comedy. The Lavender Hill Mob is right up there for me.
Draw the line at the Carry On films though. The whole high camp, Dick Emery kind of innuendo leaves me cold.
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:15 pm

I used to love Bronski Beat! My musical taste was more or less formed in the late 70's/early 80s I'm afraid, punk through indie music with a sprinkle of Northern Soul, although I also like classical music, particularly baroque. I used to surprise people who didn't know me very well with my taste for rather loud goth music and I suspect more recent friends would be even more surprised. The records are still in storage, but with Spotify, you can indulge yourself to heart's content. One thing I really like is that both me and my brother who have radically different taste (he is into techno/house/trance) made CDs of our 'wedding party' music and we both chose 'Son of a Preacher Man' as it was on one of my parents LPs which we must have absorbed through years of being in the same room as the music; there was no escape, all generations were in the same room doing different things.

My Mum likes Jim Reeves. I don't think I am ever going to understand or acquire that particular taste!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:08 pm

Ditto Jim Reeves and Country & Western.
On the film scene Hen-Gen, Arsenic and Old Lace, Some Like it Hot, the Lavender Hill Mob, brilliant, as were most films with Alec Guinness in.
The Dam Busters. Liked Bob Hope also especially The Cat & the Canary
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:19 pm

Oh, Arsenic & Old Lace must be the funniest film ever made!! I showed it to my daughter several years ago, and I actually thought she was going to throw up, she was laughing so hard!! I love old movies too. There's a lovely old Christmas movie, The Bishop's Wife, with David Niven and Cary Grant. I watch it every year. Just lovely. I love Jimmy Stewart too, except in Hitchcock's The Rope. I always felt he was totally wrong for that part. He always looked and sounded far too good & wholesome!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:02 pm

The Bishop's Wife is a must see movie for my OH at Christmas, I had never seen it, but it is brilliant, she is thrilled that someone else knows it.
Her other favourites are Bette Davis films, Some Like It Hot, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
Jimmy Stewart totally wrong in The Rope I agree
rick

Post by rick » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:35 am

As a 'baby boomer' I missed out on old movies - came in with Star Wars! But do want to check out an ocean of music stuff from the 50's through 70's when my current obsession with Sheena; jazz, rock, latin, punk, showtime fusion, (and the language) subsides. Dance is wasted on the young!
... will subside somewhat in April when we are heading back to Japan and I'm determined, this time, to have a coherent conversation with some unfortunate soul...

Return to “The Dustbath”