Weather

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Hen-Gen

Re: Weather

Post by Hen-Gen »

Ditto LadyA. It’s glorious by our standards. Wall to wall sunshine and 14C. This has been the best summer I can remember here. Rainy nights, sunny days. Just what every crofter wants. Downside - a midge paradise. But you can’t have everything! 😀.
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
dianefairhall
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by dianefairhall »

Midges not been too bad here - it's usually breezy enough to deter them and we've got our nosilife gear and Smidge repellant for when we go out. Nets as well if necessary.
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

Hen-Gen wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:07 pm
Ditto LadyA. It’s glorious by our standards. Wall to wall sunshine and 14C. This has been the best summer I can remember here. Rainy nights, sunny days. Just what every crofter wants. Downside - a midge paradise. But you can’t have everything! 😀.
We've had a very wet Summer. Most people are quite glad to see Autumn come in, because they have had enough of being wet, but too warm for a jacket. And of course, the warm, damp conditions have led to rampant growth, but you can't get a mower on to the lawns.

I'd hurt my back earlier in the week (an old and regularly recurring problem), but yesterday it felt quite a lot better. So, of course, I overdid things! A long walk, about an hour with the strimmer, and about two hours standing, bottling pears. It took me ages to get dressed this morning. I can hardly move! Took ages to get my socks on. Lesson learned! Today, I have to go get mum's groceries but other than that, I will be lying low and doing nothing!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw »

Pea souper here tonight in the Chilterns, visibility down to 100m when we put the chickens to bed.
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

Currently 1C here. Looks quite clear where I am, but I know there are fog warnings out for around the country. Yesterday, it was clear where I live, but foggy in town, about 10k inland from me. Usually, it's the other way, and we get coastal fog, and it can be clear and sunny just a couple of km inland.
Yesterday morning, I had a long walk. I was mostly warm and toasty in my insulated trousers and what's actually a ski jacket (my go to Winter jacket, as cold and wind don't get through it!), but I had forgotten gloves, and my fingertips were so painful, with the cold!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

3C and thick fog here, not deterring the crowds queuing for Debenhams or Primark though, or wanting to jump on a bus to go into Tier 3 Kent to the Bluewater shopping Centre
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

bigyetiman wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:15 am
3C and thick fog here, not deterring the crowds queuing for Debenhams or Primark though, or wanting to jump on a bus to go into Tier 3 Kent to the Bluewater shopping Centre
My daughter had to run in to town yesterday to collect something. She said she was quite shocked at the size of the queues outside our equivalent of primark.
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Pond and drinker frozen today for the first time this winter. I had a haircut booked at 9.00 but didn’t realise how frozen the windscreen was until I tried to drive off. Took an extra 5 mins to clear it and then country roads too dicey to speed up! Traffic lights red in local town, problems parking - just got there in time, luckily. All slots to talk to GP booked except the one at 9.30;, when I was being beautified, so hairdresser had to listen to conversation detailing the latest saga about my blood pressure. I felt I’d earned my coffee when I got home at last!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Just damp and foggy here. The parking and traffic lights must have done wonders for your blood pressure.
Only exciting medical thing here was OH getting her two yearly bowel cancer check kit, which has evolved since her last one, to just one sample rather than 3 days. Always seems odd popping in the post though
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

I noticed on the forecast a couple of days ago that we were the warmest place in the country. Not had frozen drinkers for 7-8 years and then only once. But all smugness vanishes in the face of the unending wind. It would be so nice not to spend the time putting on coats, hat, gloves, waterproofs and wellies. Just a walk with the dog on a still, crisp morning is obviously something I’m never going to experience again.
But we are planning a socially distanced Burns Night. So lucky to have a woman on the island who plays the strangled cats!
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm

Return to “The Dustbath”