Weather

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
LadyA

Re: Weather

Post by LadyA »

Gosh, isn't it weird how weather can be so "localised"? Here, we had no rain at all yesterday evening, although it did get dark a couple of times, and I heard a few rumbles of thunder in the distance.
However, according to my brother and other people, they had never experienced anything like the rain that fell where they were, maybe 8 to 10 miles away! Roads flooded very quickly, because the drains couldn't cope with the volume of water. Seems like it rained a bit overnight, and it's gone quite cool, with temps having dropped to about 12C. It's threatening to rain again now, but I think I'm going for a walk this morning anyway. I mean, the worst thing that can happen is that I get wet, right?!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

LadyA wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:17 am
It's threatening to rain again now, but I think I'm going for a walk this morning anyway. I mean, the worst thing that can happen is that I get wet, right?!
I hope so! (Was that what they were saying in Louisiana lately?)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... torm-surge

Mixed bag here this weekend.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... -on-record

Daughter has been in Snowdonia for four days with a group of final-year D.of E. students, coping with flooded camping sites, downpours and thunderstorms. Last year the problem for them was heat exhaustion in record temperatures.
Fewer trippers for them, I hope - Snowdonia was absolutely packed when the sun was shining a week or two ago. But at least our pond is properly full, the first time for ages.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

Unusually summer continues here. Storm Francis passed by to the south. Sunny days, mild temperatures and record silage yields.
Don’t know whether it’s just a freak occurrence or a portent of global warming. Blue hybrid hens and splash cockerel ambling about. Lambs growing fat on abundant and nutritious grass. Haven’t even thought of moving them to their winter grazing.
Something vaguely surreal about it. I just feel a winter of ferocious storms brewing.
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

I think you may be right about the Winter storms, Hen Gen. We've already had two, very close together, and it's very early for them.

I enjoyed a wonderful day of solitude today! Walk this morning (didn't get wet, although the wind felt distinctly Autumnal, and I was glad of my jacket!) and spent the rest of the day at home. Cleaned out the henhouse and put a good deep layer of fresh coffee chaff in, salvaged the remaining green beans for the freezer and spent some time cleaning and tidying a kitchen drawer and a cupboard. I haven't had dinner yet, for some reason I'm not very hungry.

Tomorrow, I will go visit mum again, and take her some meals. I've a nice big lamb stew in the slow cooker. And I have some courgettes to use, so I might make muffins.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

Courgette Muffins! I’ll take your word for it.
Now on the question of food. On Wednesday I bought a punnet of cherries. £3.95 which seems exorbitant to me but they are only available for a short time and I love them.
Glossy and black, huge and juicy. Only one complaint. Absolutely no taste whatsoever. I could have been eating anything. My mind flew back 40 years to Cherry Clafoutis. How I loved them!
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

We have some wild cherry plants growing near us, the taste is lovely although the cherries are small, nothing like the bland supermarket ones.
Cold here with a northerly wind, but in the last two weeks only half an hours rain, the fish are requesting walking poles to get about, and the geese look more like waders
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

My local, family owned supermarket sources strawberries, raspberries and cherries locally. The cherries all come from the same farm in Herefordshire but the variety changes over the weeks and the taste with the weather, but they are always lovely. They usually sell then in 1Kg boxes as well as smaller punnets but not this year. Whether it was reduced crop or lack of pickers I don't know.
It's so cold here I'm seriously thinking of turning the central heating on. We've had quite a lot of rain but the wind is drying everything again.
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

Was certainly colder here today, enough to warrant a jacket, but not seriously cold.
BYM, today, it didn't rain (yet). Got cloudy and dark several times, but it blew off again. We're told it may not rain tomorrow either. Not sure we'll be able for two days in a row without it raining for hours! They'll probably announce a hosepipe ban! However, we don't need to panic, because we are promised "very wet" conditions from Monday!
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

I feel vindicated having turned on the central heating on Saturday. It's been below 5 degrees at night and apparently colder than it was at Christmas!
It's supposed to warm up a bit this week ...
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

Glorious day here today! Warm, but not too warm, bright and sunny! (So far!)

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Return to “The Dustbath”