Weather

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
dianefairhall
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: Weather

Post by dianefairhall »

We had a gorgeous sunny day Thursday, then back to overcast and showers since. Really more like September than July.
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

dianefairhall wrote:We had a gorgeous sunny day Thursday, then back to overcast and showers since. Really more like September than July.
All week here, it was like November. Dark, wet and with a nasty chilly wind.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

In your jammies, LadyA, at 8.30. I bet you have a Vodka Martini in your hand and Eartha Kitt playing on the stereo.
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

Home made apple wine, and The Durrells on dvd!

MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit »

Well the forecast unbearable temps never arrived, although it was still in the 30s and we had wind and a small thunder and lightning thing instead. This morning the sun didn't really get out till now, so I have taken the rare opportunity to go and tie up all my tomato plants and do some garden chores in the shade.

When it is very hot, a lot of window/blind/curtain management goes on - a heavy interlined curtain is definitely a bonus. We don't have aircon or shutters, the latter would make a difference but there is a cost factor with 17 windows as much of the house is dual aspect. Anyway, we manage and you do get used to it. We don't really think its hot till its over 30, up to 34 is very bearable with caution, 35-40 is a bit unpleasant so you don't do much and over 40 is a case of lying very low and waiting to get out the other side! Luckily we only have that a couple of days a year. Its a very dry heat, and older houses are built to withstand it with thick stone walls and smallish windows, many Northern Europeans find them dark, but its for a very good reason and I am totally thankful for it. I presume its why some houses (but not many round here) are built with a solar. This is a bit like a conservatory, a room with a lot of glass, but its part of the house, usually on the first floor - as animals and storage were on the ground floor. I see them to the west of the country far more, as it is cooler there, its a way of getting some sun in the more gloomy and wet months (we get a lot of rain). Instead of the solar many houses around here have a terrace on the first floor, a bit like a Spanish solarium. However, I have never seen anybody on them, its just too hot. I think solars used to be part of posh medieval houses as well, in England.

I have just cut some large sprays of bourgainvillea and some long stalks of agapanthus for the house, I have to say I love this time of year when these 2 plants, plus the oleander, are in full bloom and rather greedily we can see how the olives and the grapes are doing as the fruit is formed and starts to swell.
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit »

Last word on the subject, I have just looked at this week and we are forecast between 36 and 40 every day! Looking at the coast, which is 2 hours away, one place has our scorchio temps, but another resort, maybe 30 mins away from it, is down in the low 20s. I think we may have a day out!
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

That is grim, Mrs Biscuit. If it's cold, at least we can wrap up warm. But in heat like that, there's not a lot to be done.

Marigold

Post by Marigold »

This Lightning Map is fun, especially if you turn on the sound options, top right. Daughter texted about a huge thunderstorm in Dorset so now we can follow it as it drifts towards us.

https://lmaps.org/#-1.53;51.27;8
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

There was a(nother) weather warning out for here for all day heavy, thundery downpours. It was, indeed, raining when I left for work this morning, so I put on my big raincoat. Every. bloomin. time. By the time I got to work, the rain was easing off, and it's been a lovely sunny day!
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

No lightning but it's pouring with rain and quite chilly. As I'm stuck in front of the computer sorting out documents for my solicitor I've lit the woodburner.

Return to “The Dustbath”