Recipes

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
LadyA

Re: Recipes

Post by LadyA »

I had nine in for lunch yesterday, and made meatloaf so thought I'd put the "recipe" such as it is, on here.

You need roughly 1 to 1/5 kg of minced meat, either all beef or a mixture. I use beef and pork usually. Two onions, finely grated. A handful or two of breadcrumbs. A little tomato juice (or tomato puree and some water to thin it). Mixed herbs, salt & pepper and 1 egg. For the topping, you need 6 tablespoons brown sugar, 1/2 cup ketchup and 2 teaspoons dry mustard powder.

So, soak the breadcrumbs in the tomato juice until they are good and wet. Mash with a fork until they are soft. Add the meat, onions, herbs & seasoning. Mix with a fork until well mixed, and then (this is the bit I hate, but it is necessary to get the right texture!) add the beaten egg, mix it in and then start mixing with your hands, "squidging" the mixture through your fingers thoroughly until it's as smooth as you can get it. put it in a baking tin or casserole dish and bake for about an hour to 1 1/2 hours until cooked through. about half an hour before it's done, spread with a sauce made by mixing the brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard powder. Drain off the fat from the dish (or lift out the whole meatloaf) to serve.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden »

I did enjoy the "We want plates" website. Thanks for that :-))
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

Resurrecting this thread, to share my recipe for Banana Bread, which is so easy! I did this at a Women's Group recently, and first of all, the women couldn't believe that you can freeze bananas (so I buy when they are in the reduced bin, peel, and as the recipe calls for three, I put them in the freezer in threes). They do go dark and soft, but that's what you want for banana bread!

2 or three over ripe bananas
75g melted butter
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 beaten egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon bread (baking) soda
pinch salt
1 1/2 cups flour

Oven: 175C/Gas 3

Mix soda & salt well into flour. Mash bananas until smooth. Stir butter, sugar, egg & vanilla into banana. Mix in flour. Add some chopped walnuts, or toasted chopped hazlenuts, or chocolate chips if liked. Put in a lined 2lb loaf tin, and bak approx 45 -50 mins. Cool in tin for ten to fifteen minutes.
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden »

LadyA wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:09 am
rick wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:56 pm
(on a plate of course - that really would be messy otherwise)
Not going for the fashion in restaurants now of serving food on anything but plates? It's something that really annoys me. There's a website dedicated to it, called wewantplates.com
Oatcakes are traditionally served in a paper bag, freshly made in an oatcakes shop. In the old days they'd be served through a hole in the outside wall of the shop. Now I'm showing my age!!!
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden »

Thanks Lady A; your banana bread sounds good.

What kind of vanilla do you use?
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

Icemaiden wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:36 pm
Thanks Lady A; your banana bread sounds good.

What kind of vanilla do you use?
Organic Vanilla Extract. It's expensive, but there's just no comparison between that and the cheapo vanilla essence!
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

I came across this recipe, and had to try it. It's just amazing and so simple!

Vegetable Lasagne
Lasagne sheets
Approx 100g new potatoes, sliced
1 courgette, diced
100g fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
300g baby spinach leaves
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion, diced
300 ml cream
200g grated mozarella cheese
50g grated parmesan
2 tbs olive oil
Salt & pepper
Gently cook the onion in a (large) frying pan in the olive oil until it's softened and started to brown. Add the garlic and continue cooking on a low heat for a further minute. Add the sliced potatoes, mushrooms, courgette and pepper and continue cooking for a few minutes until the veg have started to brown on all sides. Season with salt & pepper, cover with a lid and cook on low for about 15-20 minutes. Add the cream & parmesan and mix well for a minute or so. Add the spinach, stir well and remove from the heat.
Lightly grease a shallow lasagne dish and cover the base with lasagne sheets. Then, cover the sheets with the the veg/sauce mixture, spreading it evenly. Sprinkly some mozzarella on top, and repeat the process until all the ingredients are used, finishing with a layer of mozzarella. Cover with foil and place in a preheated oven at 180C for 30 minutes. Then remove the foil and cook for a further 15 minutes until the top is browned.

I've used the same sauce for a chicken/mushroom lasagne with carrots & other veg. And also with other pasta dishes. It's such a simple, quick sauce to make, and it tastes so amazing! Of course, you wouldn't want to eat it too often, I'd say. I mean. Cream & parmesan cheese! :mrgreen: We'd all look like blimps in no time! But, for a quick but a bit special meal, how could you go wrong?
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

We've had a couple of family parties recently, due to visiting relatives and birthdays. Mum and her twin were 82 yesterday, so we had a get together at dau's, which I catered (because dau is pregnant, and can eat as long as she doesn't smell food cooking!). I did, among other things, a load of cocktail sausages, which I first cooked in the oven, and when they were done, I put in the slow cooker on low, to keep hot, and I tossed them in a mixture of: around 1 dessertspoon honey, 1 or two dessertspoons of balsamic vinegar, a good shake of soy sauce and about two teaspoons of ketchup. You need to just dip a finger in to check it's to your taste because both balsamic and soy sauce can vary in flavour. Anyway, mix well, and then stir the sausages around to coat them in the sauce. And leave it. They go wonderfully sticky, and the flavour is amazing!!
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

Sounds good. I love teriyaki so these sound right up my street.
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie »

You've saved the day, LadyA. The OH bought some pork fillets and I was at a loss what to make for dinner tonight, so mentioned sweet and sour sauce, but your teriyaki sounds delicious and easy to do. 😋

Return to “The Dustbath”