"Google ad. experiment."

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Marigold

Re: "Google ad. experiment."

Post by Marigold » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:35 am

rick wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:28 pm
We need more chicken pictures!
Have you seen the Chilton Rail ads lately at stations with the hybrid family out on excursions? Its brightened up my commute :)
That's a good point, Rick. Can you find a pic of this to show us? It's lovely to get the clean text without adverts, but when a new person looks in for the first time, it does look a bit grey, doesn't it?
Tim, could there maybe be a colourful chicken-pic banner across the top of the Index page, similar to what can be put on a Facebook personal page?

And could we please keep this thread on topic, i.e, discussing membership and ideas about how to ensure the future of the forum? Gin connoisseurs are very welcome to have their own space by starting another thread.
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:27 am

Can you hear me....slinking off......
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:50 am

Oh dear, sorry if that came over a bit heavy, Mrs B - it wasn't meant to.

It just feels good sometimes, now most of us reading this are part of the 'team,' to have a space to discuss ideas about where the forum is going and how to ensure its survival - I love it when threads wind round and round into unexpected areas, like a personal conversation, but sometimes it can be good if there's a focus we can all contribute to.

As always, do feel free to shoot me down.....
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:40 am

You are right, Marigold; as usual you are the voice of common sense. No offence taken!
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:31 pm

£10 here buys you 8 litres of wine, which entertains me for days!

I did see an ad for mail order oil seals. Turns out to be a pretty useful site as they may stock something suitable for our old rotorvator. The usual solution to worn axle seals is to fill the gearbox with grease but that causes a lot of heat and also robs the machine of power.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:37 pm

Marigold wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:35 am

And could we please keep this thread on topic, i.e, discussing membership and ideas about how to ensure the future of the forum? Gin connoisseurs are very welcome to have their own space by starting another thread.
Yessum boss.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:03 pm

Some more statistics;

Poultrykeeper Forum started in 2009, with Tim as the founder member.
Total number of registered members now = 1586.

(Tim occasionally prunes the list and deletes people who haven't posted after registering, as too many members who don't contribute puts up the server costs.)

New registrations Jan - end of September 2018 = 236. (See page 56 onwards.)
Of these, people who haven't posted at all = 173
Very nearly 75% of the total registrations for the year so far.

Sometimes people register and then 'lurk' for a while before posting spam. Tim puts in a lot of time checking IP addresses to try to weed out suspicious ones.

People registered in 2018 who have posted more than 3 times = 12
Of these, those who have posted more than 8 times = 5

and the winner is..... Tweetiepie, with 202 posts! Give her a big hand, folks! 0:-) 0:-)

I guess this accounts for the often quite large numbers of people who are seen browsing via the Who is Online? box at the bottom of the page, but not actively posting. Our archive of advice and experience is available freely to everyone, hopefully more accessible following the recent reorganisation and editing of the main subsections. This is very good, of course, - but it would be lovely if more of these people would like to check in, make friends and add their experiences, ideas and problems, not necessarily about chickens - and, of course, once they feel comfortable in the club, become Full Members.

How could we encourage this?
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:08 pm

chrismahon wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:31 pm
£10 here buys you 8 litres of wine, which entertains me for days!

I did see an ad for mail order oil seals. Turns out to be a pretty useful site as they may stock something suitable for our old rotorvator. The usual solution to worn axle seals is to fill the gearbox with grease but that causes a lot of heat and also robs the machine of power.
Keep clicking on it, Chris!
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:06 pm

and the winner is..... Tweetiepie, with 202 posts! Give her a big hand, folks! 0:-)
[/quote]

☺ Its great being part of this "hen party"
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:21 pm

Er, excuse me! 👬

Return to “The Dustbath”