feeling determined!

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
bigyetiman

Re: feeling determined!

Post by bigyetiman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:05 pm

Good for you LadyA, I am sure you will do great once you get on the Greenway, do let us know how you get on
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:17 pm

Slight delay to plans!
Today, I dragged my dau and grandson out for a long walk. We went here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lefta4aSaWU The Anne Valley Walk. It's a favourite walk. It was a glorious day here, cold in the morning (so I stupidly wore a jumper, AND brought a coat!) but turned very warm! I was boiling! We did the whole walk, and climbed to the castle. With a toddler. Bless him, he trotted along most of the way out to the castle, but eventually, dau put him in his buggy so we could make a bit more speed, and he had walked a very long way for such a little boy (he won't be 2 until New Year's Eve). The way up to the castle is a very steep climb, so he needed a lot of help, but was delighted with himself! Then he sat in his buggy and ate snacks (apple and cucumber), all the way back.
Unfortunately, after going home with them to collect my own car, I then walloped my knee very badly getting in to my car! Really hard! So, now I have a very painful, stiff, swollen knee. No cycling for the moment, and no more long walks until it heals up either. I don't know how I managed to do it! I get in and out of that car at least twice a day!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:52 pm

LadyA I also love walks and this looks a fabulous place. This time of year is great, when as you say it is warm and sunny, yet not too hot (unless you take a coat, LOL). So sorry to hear you banged your knee, that's sod's law! The bike can wait. It's so nice to hear you had a fabulous day with your Grandson. My three grown up children are not in relationships, so there's little chance of me being a Mammar for a long time yet. I bet it's great fun and I bet he keeps you all on your toes :-)
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:43 am

Tweetypie wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:52 pm
I bet he keeps you all on your toes :-)
Oh, you can sing it! :mrgreen: Going home yesterday, I kissed him goodbye and left, and from outside the door I heard outraged yells of "Nanny! Ug!" I had dared to leave without a hug!
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:21 pm

Yay! Go, me! :-)08 :-)08 :mrgreen:
Absolutely fabulous day here today, so, I took myself (with, I admit, some dithering and had to give myself a good talking to!) off to the Greenway with my bike, and had a lovely, leisurely cycle! I didn't go far, just did about 40 minutes. I figured that would be enough for my first time on a bike in about 20 years! It was just lovely, and I really enjoyed it! I decided to just concentrate on staying upright and moving, and not bother about gears for the moment, so just left the bike in 3rd gear, which is about the middle. It has seven gears on the back. There were a number of other cyclists, walkers and runners out. Can't wait to go again, but with Storm Helene due in tomorrow sometime, it will be a few days at least before I get an opportunity!
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:23 pm

Well done :-)17 I think 40 minutes is great and not to be sniffed at. It took me a few times to become steady. I have a basket on the front which I think hinders me, but it's useful for carrying stolen blackberries, apples and dare I say, potatoes from the edge of the field. :oops: It's great fun ridi g a bike and at the same time keeps you fit and healthy. Hope you don't leave it long til your next adventure :D
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:16 pm

Tweetypie wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:23 pm
Well done :-)17 I think 40 minutes is great and not to be sniffed at. It took me a few times to become steady. I have a basket on the front which I think hinders me, but it's useful for carrying stolen blackberries, apples and dare I say, potatoes from the edge of the field. :oops: It's great fun ridi g a bike and at the same time keeps you fit and healthy. Hope you don't leave it long til your next adventure :D
I'll have to empty the bike basket. It's been sitting on the kitchen floor, full of photographs waiting to be put in albums, for about three years!! It's a nice basket though, and has a zip out rain cover, and handles, so (if one were to ever manage to go on the public road and get to the shops! :mrgreen: ) I could take the basket in to the shops. It's even got a zip compartment for holding keys & purse!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:24 pm

Well done 40 mins is pretty good for 1st time. Get that basket emptied so handy for blackberries apples, chestnuts and anything else you may find.
The Anne valley walk looks lovely, just the place for autumn or spring strolls. Guess it gets pretty busy at weekends
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:03 pm

Looking like I won't be out again this week. Tomorrow I'm babysitting (and there's Storm Helene due tonight/tomorrow morning anyway), Wednesday, I have a doctor's appointment, Thursday I'm working, and Friday mum has her cataract surgery! Time does really fly by, doesn't it?!
Rather bizarrely, in work this morning (I work two mornings a week as a Home Help) i had a severe dizzy spell! I do occasionally get brief light headed feelings, which, if I stay still and concentrate, pass almost immediately. This morning though, it didn't pass, and I had to sit on the floor and bend my head until it passed! Very weird. I will mention it to the doc on Wednesday, because I was a bit worried about driving home. I know my blood pressure tends to be on the lower side of normal, so maybe it "dips" now and then? Weird, whatever caused it! And very unpleasant.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:37 pm

I'm glad you're going to discuss this with your doctor tomorrow, LadyA. Dizziness, lightheadedness, and low blood pressure definitely need checking out, as they may be early signs of heart problems which shouldn't be ignored. And don't feel apologetic or allow yourself to under-describe how you feel, especially if you have a male doctor. It's generally accepted nowadays that women's heart attack symptoms are often different from men's, more subtle and less obvious, often not involving chest pain, and also male doctors are inclined to underrate and under-report what women tell them. See https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsuppo ... rt-attacks
I've had hereditary progressive heart disease for years, and back in April I felt very ill, just before we were due to go on holiday, and managed to see the doc. before we set out. He was really patronising and made me feel as if I was making it up to get attention, as if I didn't know my own body after all this time. However, I did get him to refer me for tests at the hospital, and although these have taken 6 months to materialise, at least I now have a female consultant at the hospital who LISTENED when I told her what is happening, and dates soon for a raft of tests to find out what is going on.
Of course there are all sorts of reasons why you may be having dizzy spells, and it's possibly something quite mild and very common, but particularly as you live on your own, you need to keep a careful check on your heart health and get good advice which will make you feel more confident you're being properly looked after. It will take a while to get things done, so if necessary it's good to start ASAP and be able to get a baseline assessment which will be available for comparison in the future if relevant. There's a lot of helpful and reliable info on the British Heart Foundation website, including downloadable booklets on various topics which are good if the doc has told you something you haven't fully taken in, and want to check up on. See https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/conditions

Return to “The Dustbath”