Moo

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
bigyetiman

Re: Moo

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:18 pm

We are lucky like you Margaid, our meat comes from our neighbour, Dexter beef, Romney X Texel Lamb, and Pork. As OH helps her out a lot we know exactly how they have been brought up. They go down to a local slaughterhouse with on site butcher.
Quite a few of my work colleagues buy meat from her and you get cuts of meat back you don't see in the supermarket and I have to explain to some of them what to do with Blade, neck of lamb, trotters. One drivers wife was confused by pork mince, as she thought you could only get lamb mince, and as for hearts and kidneys, we get those back as no one wants them, good job I love them.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Re: Moo

Post by chrismahon » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:37 pm

I had a 'double take' moment last year when we spotted a small herd of Belted Galloways just 20 minutes North of us. The local breed here is Mirandaise- a pretty light grey colour. There is a small herd of 6 cows and a bull in the field at the end of our drive. They slaughter here at 2 ½ years so they have a very nice life wandering around the vast fields until then. Most arable farmers seem to keep small herds of cattle which graze the fields not being cropped that year- nothing like the large scale 'production' I remember in England.

Return to “The Dustbath”