Rain !!!

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
LadyA

Re: Rain !!!

Post by LadyA » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:13 am

Today is the third anniversary of my husband's death. I have to go to town this morning, to buy some fabric stiffening. I'm "upcycling" an old dress I got in a charity shop. I couldn't resist it, as the fabric was so pretty. But I've never seen fabric like it. If it gets wet, it literally shreds like tissue paper! So, I'm making cushion covers from the main parts, and will use the scraps for something like lavender hearts or similar. It's very lightweight fabric though, so I'm using iron on stiffening to give it a bit of body.

Today, it's notexactly raining, but it's extremely damp out. The kind of day when, although it's not raining, you'd end up wet without really knowing how!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:15 am

A day full of thoughts, then Lady A.

Good luck with the sewing.
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:49 am

Gosh Lady A, I hadn't realised it was three years since he died.

Sometimes the fabric in old garments just seems to give up. I once bought a lovely 1930s silk dress, but the fabric just kept splitting and not necessarily in areas subject to a lot of wear. Modern sewing aids are amazing; I have at least 6 different "weights" of interlining - three or four different iron-on and some that have to be stitched. One fabric I've used is so loosely woven you have to stitch the interlining to it before any attempt to cut it out ...

Thinking of you.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:27 pm

Thinking of you today to, a day of memories and reflection.
Hope sewing goes well
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:57 pm

Margaid wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:49 am

Sometimes the fabric in old garments just seems to give up.
Yes, but this wasn't an old dress! Fairly new I'd say. Just weird fabric! In fairness, the label did say "dry clean only". But it didn't say "don't go out in the rain"! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The sewing hasn't gone at all! I got held up here and there, went and bought flowers for the grave and put them on, then went and had tea at dau's, and have basically done nothing at all since I came home!
With the flowers, I couldn't decided between a bouquet of sunflowers and a pot of dwarf yellow lilies, so I got both! The day brightened up and got warm and sunny.
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:38 pm

That's the way life goes! I remember a friend of mine who bought a pair of boots and ended up with wet feet when it rained. The shop assistant to whom she complained said she shouldn't have worn the boots in the rain!

Sunflowers and yellow lilies sound lovely, and hopefully the birds will benefit from the seeds :)
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:18 am

That sounds a very good way to spend a thoughtful and loving day, LadyA.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:23 pm

Are you OK, Mrs Biscuit? I keep reading about runaway temperatures and wildfires in Portugal. I hope you can check in soon and let us know how things are going.
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:05 am

Margaid wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:38 pm

Sunflowers and yellow lilies sound lovely, and hopefully the birds will benefit from the seeds :)
That's the nice thing about the graveyard where my husband is buried. Although it's in the town, it's an ancient graveyard, surrounded by a high old stone wall which is thickly covered in ivy. There are huge trees in there, and the entrance has an iron gate, then a long gravel avenue with over arching trees and shrubs on either side, so as soon as you go through the gate, it's like entering a hushed, quiet place with the only noises the sound of birds and the occasional whack of tennis balls from the Tennis Club next door. The avenue is quite long (and not vehicle accessible, so coffins have to be carried!) and then opens through another entrance into the graveyard itself, which is green and quiet, with a lot of very old graves among the newer ones. My husband is buried right beside the old stone wall, which he would have liked. :) There are loads of birds in there.
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:27 am

Hello All

Yes we are safe and well. We are in the middle of Portugal and away from the fires down at Monchique on the Algarve, which having been burning for days, I have just read that 29 people were hurt overnight, the poor firefighters working in this heat, its getting quite hideous. We are lucky, we are living under a cloud (literally) which is apparently sand from Africa. Consequently the sky isn't blue and the sun isn't at its worst. The highest temps we have had are 41, the highest in Portugal have been 46. But the effect of these lowering skies is that the heat is trapped, and the nights are almost as bad as the days. Its been 33 overnight, and 35 at 7am. Fortunately today is supposed to be the last day of the extreme heat, thank goodness. My body is slowly losing the ability to cool itself down and thats with spending 90% of the time inside, on the sofa, hardly moving!

Thank you for thinking of me!

Return to “The Dustbath”