Rain !!!

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
bigyetiman

Re: Rain !!!

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:19 am

Started raining here about 8.45am,and raining nice and steadily. It smells lovely and fresh, even the hens look happier wandering about in the cool, and thinking perhaps this rain stuff isn't so bad after all
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:55 am

I'm glad to hear most/all of you have got rain!

You have all had a hotter and drier May/June/July than me, we haven't been above 30 much. Chris is right about getting used to heat, 30-32 is now my ideal temp, it was 'only' 27 yesterday and I had long sleeves on to start with. Anyway, I got a real shock by seeing Countryfile last night said there would be temps of 48 in Portugal in the coming week. That is ridiculous, like being in Qatar or somewhere. Anyway, upon investigation I could only find a top temp of 45, which is still way beyond my comfort zone, and we are forecast 43 on Weds, which, if true, will be the hottest I have encountered here and in a year where we have not been softened up beforehand.

Weather often seems to change around the time of a full moon I think. We managed to see the eclipse quite well, but it wasn't in the least bit red for us, just slow.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:25 am

And another thing :D . Apart from Arctic snow gear I’ve never worn a hat. But this year I’ve had to invest in one of those caps with a sunshade. It’s electric blue. Not sure whether I’m getting balder (surely not) or the sun is getting stronger ie. less air pollution but either way I feel a bit of a numpty wearing it in public. Still rather that than the dreaded sc.
The only comfort is that every other bald/balding man here wears one and everyone uses high factor sun block so it appears that they’re right.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:10 pm

Much better to wear a hat than get the dreaded SC Hen-Gen. One of our drivers was taking the Mick out of OH for having a straw hat on whilst out and about, as he stood there bald headed and red in spite of having had 3 ops for skin cancer including having part of an ear removed in April.
You could say to people if your head gets really hot it revs up your brain cells and makes you super intelligent and you don't want to show anyone up.
Watched a super Red necked Phalarope locally this morning, having a stop off on it's long journey South.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:22 pm

bigyetiman wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:10 pm

Watched a super Red necked Phalarope locally this morning, having a stop off on it's long journey South.
Good. We’ve had more breeding pairs here this year than for a long time. Good habitat management I guess.
More bizarrely we had a golden oriole that stayed for about ten days last month. Also minke whales, orcas and a basking shark so a good year.
The large reduction in bonxie numbers this year due to poor weather when they were migrating (remember the beast from the east) will hopefully result in a successful breeding season for waders.
But most of the seabirds - deeply depressing.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:13 pm

Good news for your Phalaropes, and for waders in general with the lack of Bonxies. Sea birds situation is pretty depressing. Always nice to see an Oriole, miss them now they no longer breed at Lakenheath. They used to breed in the black poplar plantation that was planted and sustained by Bryant and May match makers. But when they stopped using the site the trees started to fall and the marsh and reed bed started to encroach and the rest is history.
Sea Eagles bred on Orkney this year so next stop Shetland Hen-Gen ?
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:03 pm

It's been much cooler today in Nottinghamshire, with a few scattered showers. I went for my evening bike ride and on the last stretch, where OH and me cut through the field of maize, the sight at the top is breathtaking. Sadly, his phone camera does not capture the beauty as much as the eye can experience. :-(
Attachments
Top of the hill - Edited.jpg
Top of the hill - Edited.jpg (71.01 KiB) Viewed 142 times
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:47 am

We have a Golden Oriole flying around us. Recognise the call as we had one at the rental, but it's difficult to see here because of the trees.

No rain for at least a week. Apparently we have 36C and completely clear skies due from Thursday to Monday so it looks like 5 days of hosing the runs.

SC is on the increase in France apparently but one thing that is now never mentioned by any of the media that I've seen is the hole in the Ozone layer. So how big is it now? I did notice on my last visit to the UK in June that when the sun came out, even for a few moments, I could feel my skin burning immediately and yet I was the ONLY person wearing a hat. The sunshine doesn't burn like that down here, although we did have one very unusual day last week when it did. I've also notice that I no longer get the water blisters on my arms that I had in the UK- they were caused by a sun allergy I was told? Sun cream protection factors have increased massively over recent years. Factors 4-8 were fine at one time but now you can buy factors 30 and 50?
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:01 am

According to recent studies, the hole has shrunk, due to the ban on CFC gasses. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/201 ... -confirms/
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:05 am

I'm going out for a long walk this morning. Now the weather has turned a bit cooler, I'm needing to get back to taking some exercise, which I haven't during the long weeks of heat. I'm just not able for it at all.
Mind you, I could get soaked this morning! It's very dark out there, with quite a wind blowing. Huge black clouds around. Still, I need to get back to exercise. I've become a couch potato during the heatwave! Time to get myself moving again!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!

Return to “The Dustbath”