Drought conditions

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Marigold

Re: Drought conditions

Post by Marigold » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:28 am

Oh dear, that's worrying. Have you got any bottled water for drinking?
bigyetiman
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by bigyetiman » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:51 am

I hope they brought you some bottled water to tide you over. Which is what they do here if our water goes off for any length of time. Hope it is back on soon
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:40 am

Oh, that's not good! Hope you have managed to get some supplies!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:22 am

Good luck. Mahatma Gandhi used to drink his own urine so if things get desperate...........!
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:04 am

Hen-Gen wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:22 am
Good luck. Mahatma Gandhi used to drink his own urine so if things get desperate...........!
I suppose this is one situation where it's actually advantageous to live in a one person household.
Margaid
Part of the Flock

Post by Margaid » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:18 am

Thank you are for your concern. It came back on with very reduced flow in the early hours and now seems to be back to normal, but a friend a mile away across town had no water at 8 am. There is an access point just up the road where they can add or subtract water from the system. If they add it from tankers, I'm one of the first houses it reaches. I did have a couple of lidded jugs in the fridge so enough to drink overnight, and with three loos all with full cisterns that wasn't going to be a problem - think I'd prefer to drink the water from the cisterns Hen-Gen! And no, they didn't bring round any bottled supplies - and I've just had a recorded phone message o tell me the good news that my water will gradually come back on! At least now I can wash my hair so I won't like a scarecrow at tonight's concert!
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:52 am

Just been to see some friends and we were saying how England can't cope with problems that we would consider minor- bit of snow or no rain for a while. We keep bottled water here for emergencies and someone here only uses bottled water as the mains stuff isn't fit to drink.

We were lucky enough to get rain and now have sufficient stored for 12 days of veg watering. Set to be 33C for a few days- too hot to work outside as you can add at least 10C in the sun.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:01 am

I understand that in some of the environmentally sound houses they differentiate between grey water and brown water. Brown water goes into the sewers, septic tank or reed bed. Grey water ( bath water, washing machine water, kitchen water etc ) goes into a tank to be used for watering in the summer. Seems like a good idea to me. Not here because we normally have more than enough but this year it's getting like the Atacama Desert.
Margaid
Part of the Flock

Post by Margaid » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:25 pm

In a small town not far from me they have built an estate of "eco" houses. Talking to one of the residents he said they have rain-water harvesting but surprisingly not "grey water". Both are almost prohibitively expensive to "retro install" otherwise I would consider it. I just have a couple of smallish water butts. Yes Chris, we're not good at dealing with the unexpected - that's the trouble, it doesn't happen every year so we don't know how to cope. Where I used to live the water from the bore-hole was really good, but the neighbouring farm had to boil theirs and two mile away it was undrinkable so they used bottled water delivered by the pallet!
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:07 pm

I know they cost a few hundred, but you can get rainwater harvesting tanks that you just connect to the downpipes like you do a water butt. Some even come with a pump, but I got my portable, plug in pump in Lidl in the Spring. Or, you can sometimes get old oil tanks when someone is changing heating systems. You have to use lots of detergent and scrub it out really well, and then leave the lid off it for several months for the kerosene smell to dissipate. It's a lot of work, but the upside is that you can usually get the tank for free! And you're recycling it!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!

Return to “The Dustbath”