Carriers

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Hen-Gen

Carriers

Post by Hen-Gen » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:09 am

OK, appertaining to a previous post I am not endlessly repetitive, do not have hair sprouting from my ears or nostrils and, as far as I know, do not smell of urine. But as I get older I'm only too ready to complain about young people today, fast food and poor services.
Take Amazon. On June 17th I ordered 100 chicken leg rings. Easy enough, one might have thought, to put in a Jiffy bag and post to me. But no, let's use a carrier who sends them via Outer Mongolia so that I'll actually get them on July 7th. That's 20 days after ordering them. I could have whittled my own out of old car tyres in that time.
I've no doubt that this was the action of some youth who's mind was on the gym, the sun bed and his next sexual encounter. Or am I confusing this with Love Island, the worst pile of donkey poo ever broadcast on terrestrial television! I caught about 10 minutes of it last night whilst waiting for Family Guy. I had to have a stiff gin after that and lay down in a darkened room with a cold flannel on my forehead.
Rant over :D
PS Do face flannels still exist? Ive taken to using old underpants! ;)
LadyA

Re: Carriers

Post by LadyA » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:04 pm

I always try and make sure any orders I make are using a particular courier, because their driver for this area, whose name is apparently Wicenty, is extremely sensible, although his english is hit and miss! If I'm not in, he will NOT just automatically leave me a "Sorry we missed you" note, telling me to collect my parcel the next day. He will actually phone me, tell me what the contents label says, and ask if he should leave it in the porch or somewhere? Usually, it's two extremely heavy sacks of cat litter packed in one sturdy box, so I get "I have box for you. Is stuff for cats. I leave in porch, you can manage?"
Mind you, I remember having quite an argument with one courier company some years ago, when I had come home one Sunday afternoon to find a "sorry we missed you" note in the letterbox! I called them on Monday morning and they insisted that I couldn't possibly have, as their drivers don't work on Sundays! I insisted that I had, and had the note there to prove it, giving the date and time the driver had called! They insisted that I couldn't have, because their drivers DO NOT work on Sundays! Turned out, when the driver called again at 8 o'clock that evening that he lives nearby and was passing my gate on the Sunday morning, so thought he'd just see if I was in, even though he wasn't actually working! :D :D
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:56 pm

I bought some leg rings from ebay and they arrived within 3 days. The link is here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16MM-REUSABL ... 2749.l2649

I prefer DPD as they have tracking and you can also leave a message via text, to leave in a safe place if you are not in. Yodel is not good, you only know day of arrival AFTER they have delivered (or attempted to deliver).

I don't like waiting in for stuff and I don't like things that take too long to arrive, so I am with you on that Hen-gen. They probably have them sent via China. Even on Ebay, you have to check the sellers' details, as many things come from China, despite saying UK seller. Crafty!!

Going off on a tangent..... I am sat in my garden and I can hear several kids screaming!! Believe me, my blood pressure is higher than the current temperature ! There are only a handful of houses on this lane, but the one next door to me likes to invite all the local brats from the village to make as much noise as possible. I have zero noise tolerance when it comes to kids. Give me animals and birds, any day.
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:21 pm

Yodel (Your Delivery Extremely Late) took over from DHL (Days and Hours Late). In south Shropshire we're quite a long way from any of the depots and where I used to live, if DHL had a Friday delivery to us they just wouldn't bother. We'd be told they had called and left a card because there was no-one in - sure! me, OH, two builders and the builder's labourer, probably waiting for something ordered from Screwfix. In the end Screwfix put a note on our account not to use DHL. I like DPD too Marigold - sometimes I can work out quite accurately when, during their hour slot, they will deliver as their website shows where the van is and the "drop" number. I ought to get out more!
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:12 pm

It was me who mentioned DPD Margaid. I'm also sad. I like to view them on the map, too. 😁

No surprise about yodel and DHL. They threw my parcel over the wall !! Didn't ring the gate buzzer to check, otherwise it would have been answered. Grrrr
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:16 am

Oops, sorry Tweetypie I didn't look properly. Apart from anything else I ought to recognise Marigold's avatar after all this time!
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:54 am

From what I've read about work conditions for delivery people, I think that often it's extreme pressure to manage an unrealistic number of deliveries within a given time that leads them to take short cuts. We now have a parcel box by our front door, since we do order a lot of stuff online, which may help the drivers, at least on non-signed-for parcels. And I don't have to feel I must race to the door so as not to keep the delivery person waiting!
Yes, I do have some horror stories about deliveries that went wrong, but nearly all are OK - it's a very competitive market, both for online sellers and delivery firms.
bigyetiman
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by bigyetiman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:59 pm

Our worst experiences were with Yodel and Tuffnells . We ordered an item which was duly despatched and due to be delivered by Tuffnells who's depot is about 15mins away from us. After about 10 days we contacted the seller who assumed it had been delivered and promised to look into this. Someone called us back from the company and said they had contacted Tuffnells who said they had it in their depot but hadn't delivered it as so far they hadn't had any other deliveries for our area. But would deliver it forthwith. 15 mins later a van draws up and a woman gets out with the parcel and said " this is most inconvenient having to deliver one parcel to an area you know"
The company now use Hermes who are very good and text with a delivery time, Royal Mail deliver most things our way and no problems either
rowbow4
Newcomer / Hatchling

Post by rowbow4 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:37 am

Ordered a glass light shade from Ikea, it arrived broken, Ikea apologised and would send a replacement wrapped in bubble wrap, it arrived the BOX was wrapped in bubble wrap contents broken, we had a good laugh on the phone, we have been reimbursed. :D
bigyetiman
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:09 am

Came home last night and noticed something one the garage roof. Ladder out and it was a package for someone at Fair Play Farm on Clay Tye Road, easy to confuse with Brook Farm St Mary's Lane.
Obviously the Yodel driver was in a hurry to get home and watch the football. Luckily we know the farmer well as he farms the field opposite, so a quick text message was all that was needed. Or did the driver have second sight and realise this

Return to “The Dustbath”