The heat is on

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
LadyA

Re: The heat is on

Post by LadyA » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:36 am

Thankfully, I'm on a well which has never yet run dry (except twice in the space of a week, several years ago, when my husband, who had AD, left the garden hose running and forgot all about it!). And now, with only me here, I don't use a lot of water. So, I'm able to water the veg garden and the polytunnel. I have a large, clean oil tank sitting in the corner of the garden and in theory I should be bucketing rain water into that when the barrels get full when it rains. I have a "dirty water" pump for pumping the water back out through a hose. There's another old, clean tank lying around too, which I think I will try and rescue, and attach to a downpipe. I know this prolonged dry spell is unusual for here, but it's as well to be prepared in future, isn't it?

What I don't understand though is this. There are times of the year when there is far too much rain. Why isn't something done about harvesting and storing water for dry spells? Surely, rainwater harvesting systems would be better installed from the word go, in building housing, or even on a larger scale for towns etc.?
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:26 pm

I've a large water butt which will be empty PDQ. I have been watering my garden, as not heard of a hosepipe ban yet. I think I am going to get another couple of water butts so that when it rains, at least I have sufficient water for the garden.

I was out walking in the forest last week and saw floods of water and a waterfall... one of those huge pipes that the farmer uses to water his neighbouring fields, had come away or burst. I cannot imagine how much water escaped. It was shocking! I reported to the water board immediately, but they took 8 hours to inspect it, next they'll be moaning about lack of water in the resevoirs.

I agree with you, LadyA, farmers and other businesses should be finding other ways to collect this water.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:00 pm

It's been very hot and dry down here as well, a big contrast to the floods and cold of the previous week. 32C today rising to 36C on Saturday with heavy thunderstorms forecast for Sunday.

At the moment we are watering the veggie plot from stored rainwater- we have two 1000L tubs fed by the guttering which gives us Chlorine -free water, essential for the soft fruit like Strawberries and Raspberries which (from experience) lose their flavour completely if given Chlorine. However our problem is mosquitoes hatching in the water butts so we're giving thought to adding fish but first have to remove the rotting vegetation from the bottom which depletes the oxygen.

Bit of a chore pumping into the water butt in the veggie plot though, but have discovered a use for supermarket potato mesh bags- a filter for the pump.
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:46 pm

chrismahon wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:00 pm
It's been very hot and dry down here as well, a big contrast to the floods and cold of the previous week. 32C today rising to 36C on Saturday with heavy thunderstorms forecast for Sunday.

At the moment we are watering the veggie plot from stored rainwater- we have two 1000L tubs fed by the guttering which gives us Chlorine -free water, essential for the soft fruit like Strawberries and Raspberries which (from experience) lose their flavour completely if given Chlorine. However our problem is mosquitoes hatching in the water butts so we're giving thought to adding fish but first have to remove the rotting vegetation from the bottom which depletes the oxygen.

Bit of a chore pumping into the water butt in the veggie plot though, but have discovered a use for supermarket potato mesh bags- a filter for the pump.
When we lived in the desert of S/W United States, my husband used to pour a little oil onto the surface of the water tubs, which seemingly meant the mosquitoes couldn't lay their eggs there, or the eggs couldn't survive, or something. You don't need a lot, he said, just make sure there's a film of oil on top of the water.

hasty ps! Cooking oil, I mean, not the toxic stuff!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
rick

Post by rick » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:40 pm

29.5 C in our run today - a bit cooler on the ground and under the shade of the roof. Chooks seem OK with it, a bit of panting going on. They have had half a cucumber as a cooling treat.
My new longbow has arrived this morning and I am dying to try it out but standing in an open field at the moment isn't too appealing.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:56 pm

I buy half a cucumber each week from our village shop. Two slices in a G and T. Paradise.
They think I’m some kind of salad eater!

A longbow? Are you practising for The Leamington Spa Theatres production of Robin Hood?
rick

Post by rick » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:16 pm

Hen-Gen wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:56 pm
A longbow? Are you practising for The Leamington Spa Theatres production of Robin Hood?
Ooh Yeah! Got the hat with a couple of chicken feathers but these green tights are killing me!
Icemaiden
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by Icemaiden » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:37 pm

I was picturing you in some kind of "Sealed Knot" get-up, Rick - maybe a leather tabard & some interesting boots (we know you're good at designing those :-)
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
rick

Post by rick » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:31 pm

I don't much go in for a style of any sort really icemaiden but I suppose a leather arm guard and a Tilly hat (and toting a longbow and wooden arrows does the trick :)
The long bow is great, by the way - slower than my field bow (which broke) - much more tactile and alive though. Got a clout competition next weekend (flinging arrows up a field in a high curve to try to get close to a flag.) It will probably be raining cats and dogs by then!
bigyetiman
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by bigyetiman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:48 pm

You are the first person I have heard of with a longbow. I was imagining you re- enacting Agincourt.
Our lake is decreasing rapidly and the geese are walking rather than swimming, fish have retreated to the middle part, and herons are having a field day hoovering up anything near the edge.
Our neighbour has started to feed the winter hay to the livestock already

Return to “The Dustbath”