The heat is on

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Tweetypie
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

The heat is on

Post by Tweetypie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:22 pm

Is this heat killing you? I can't seem to stay out longer than 10 minutes. The hens are hiding under their favourite shrub, which is lovely and cool. They only come out for a few minutes to eat and drink, then go back again.

I love the sunshine and will probably regret saying this, but when I start my new job on Monday, I will be glad of the air conditioning in the office :D
Hen-Gen

Re: The heat is on

Post by Hen-Gen » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:41 pm

It's a very pleasent 14C here today. Many years ago I was flying up here from down south and the captain came on the Intercom and said "It's a balmy 14C in Kirkwall. Old ladies are collapsing in the street".
One of my greatest joys here is the summer temperatures. In the eight years I've lived here full time the hottest day was 19C. Break out the Pimms and make the smoked salmon sandwiches.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:45 pm

I agree, I can't manage at all well in the heat. When I was teaching at the local primary school, the classrooms had huge greenhouse-type windows with only very small ventilation windows at the top. Temperatures regularly got up to 35C+ and it was not possible for children to sit next to the windows. When they came in after a hot dinner hour in the sunshine on the field, I used to line them up and sprinkle them all with talcum powder to cool them down. I suppose that wouldn't be allowed nowadays as I'd have to touch them, shock horror. The school still has these huge sheets of glass and I do pity the children and teachers in this heat. A steady 29.9C here today, but at least I'm out of doors most of the time. I envy you, HenGen!
What is your new job going to be, Tweetiepie? Good luck next week, I hope you settle in and enjoy it.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:03 pm

29.9C! :o you could cook scrambled eggs in that.
On the question of the seasons I have still not fully adjusted to the lack of night here at this time of year. I generally watch Family Guy before bed (which finishes around midnight) and always take the dog out last thing. I can see the Skerries on the horizon, 10 miles away and the gulls are flying about overhead. Glad I invested in blackout curtains for my bedroom.
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:18 pm

It's 29 degrees in Notts. 30 years ago I would have been basking in my bikini. Eek.
Its just a temporary sales admin job for 9 months. I just want a part time job really. 3 days a week but this is full time. I've not been working for 6 weeks, I packed it in as the Manager was such a moody person. Working full time is going to be a shock to the system. The husband will be elated as he has the house to himself again.

Hen gen, where do you live?
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:22 pm

Tweetypie wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:18 pm
Hen gen, where do you live?
The Arctic Circle is nearer to me than London!
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:31 pm

It's stinking hot here too! We haven't had any rain for weeks, and now mum (who lives in town) says they've introduced water conservation orders. My daughter & her family are away on holiday. As she sadly messaged me today "We paid a lot of money, and D took time off work, for a sun & beach holiday. And it's been cold and raining here, while there's a heatwave at home, and we live walking distance from the beach!" Thing is though, if they are to have a break, they have to go away somewhere, otherwise her husband doesn't get away from work at all. He runs a garden maintenance business. As it is, dau said he keeps getting lots of calls from clients!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Margaid
Part of the Flock

Post by Margaid » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:47 pm

The in-car thermometer said it was 28.5 at 1pm - almost too hot to have the roof down, but amazingly it's dry heat with very low humidity so I can cope. The front of my house is south facing so have blinds drawn and windows firmly shut. I open them on the north side usually but was out all morning. The house was amazingly cool when I came in so I've only just opened the french doors on the north side! My cat has stayed in all day in the cool - he is completely black so his coat gets really hot in the sun.
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:18 pm

I shall cheer you all up (?!) by telling you that you are all warmer (except HG) than me! It should be well over 30 by this time in June, but it is struggling to hit 30. I can't abide the cold, so this is the right place for me, although I am returning to the UK tomorrow for a week to warm up!
bigjim
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by bigjim » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:27 am

Three water barrels all empty now. The last time it rained, it was a storm, it flooded parts ofNorthampton. Watering my mates down the street, came back with two watering cans to do my pots.
This should be in the thrift thread lol

Return to “The Dustbath”