Breakfast time

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Hen-Gen

Re: Breakfast time

Post by Hen-Gen » Thu May 31, 2018 10:25 pm

Tweetypie wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:38 pm
Poached eggs and bovril?? Now that surely is illegal :-) Must admit I love pomegranate juice, too. Can't say it's a prostate thing as I don't have that sort of equipment :-)
Which reminds me. When I was a kid my mum had one of those egg poachers where there are little cups that sit over a pan of simmering water. The eggs come out like rubber. It was my husband who introduced me to the proper way - cracking the eggs directly into a pan of simmering water. But it has to be my own eggs. Older, shop bought eggs just spread out into a complete mess.
As a kid, Tweetypie, I loved Marmite. But now I find it way to salty and prefer Bovril. Spread on toast and topped with poached eggs is such a good morning experience.
And good coffee. But that's another whinge! :D
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:46 am

Coffee - well I have one of those Philips Senseo machines. Not expensive. It uses coffee pads/pods, so biodegradable and also good for the garden! I don't even use Senseo pads, I bulk buy mine from HEMA. 46 pads are £2.20, whereby Douwe Egberts Senseo are around £5 for 20. Not quite bean to cup, but nevertheless, the taste is good ;-)
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:50 am

Usually, I drink green tea. But now and then, I drink redbush tea. Maybe four cups of coffee a week. I do like coffee, but don't like to have too much caffeine. My son in law has a fab coffee machine, and grinds the beans before making lovely cappucinos. At home, I won't buy a machine because I suspect I would start drinking a lot more coffee! So, when I fancy a nice, frothy coffee, I heat half milk/half water and then use an egg beater to froth it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It just feels more of a special indulgence than regular coffee, and I always take the time to sit down and enjoy it!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
valeriebutterley

Post by valeriebutterley » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:06 pm

Still like filter coffee, real coffee, Kenyan. Melitta papers in any decent coffee machine. Every morning since I was 25, or nearly every morning, excluding holidays, hospital stays etc., I do agree about home grown eggs of course.
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:29 pm

Ooh. Home laid eggs, fried, scrambled or poached depending how much time I've got, on toasted home made granary bread with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and walnuts in it. Mmm.

Only problem is that I can't chew at the mo, after too many hours in the dentist's chair, so I'm restricted to softly scrambled eggs without the toast...
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:39 am

LadyA wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:50 am
Usually, I drink green tea. But now and then, I drink redbush tea. Maybe four cups of coffee a week. I do like coffee, but don't like to have too much caffeine. My son in law has a fab coffee machine, and grinds the beans before making lovely cappucinos. At home, I won't buy a machine because I suspect I would start drinking a lot more coffee! So, when I fancy a nice, frothy coffee, I heat half milk/half water and then use an egg beater to froth it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It just feels more of a special indulgence than regular coffee, and I always take the time to sit down and enjoy it!
This little gizmo is brilliant for making small amounts of frothy milk, i use it every day for our cappuccinos. It sorts out lumpy custard as well. Comes with small slinky case, less than £10 including the first two batteries!
https://www.lakeland.co.uk/11733/Aerola ... orage-Tube
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:24 am

Marigold wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:39 am
LadyA wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:50 am
This little gizmo is brilliant for making small amounts of frothy milk, i use it every day for our cappuccinos. It sorts out lumpy custard as well. Comes with small slinky case, less than £10 including the first two batteries!
https://www.lakeland.co.uk/11733/Aerola ... orage-Tube
My rotary egg beater does an excellent job, with no batteries! :mrgreen:
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:23 pm

No coffee, just Yorkshire tea for me thanks.
Egg beaters, great, so useful for so many things
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:22 pm

Yorkshire Tea is the one thing I bring out from the UK, I don't know how to survive without tea! I am not keen on eggs either, and can't face breakfast. Before you all say its the most important meal of the day I do now have something which works for me with no chewing. I blitz milk, 1/2 banana, yogurt, any stray soft fruit and some raw porridge oats and drink my 'thickie'. It keeps me going till lunch.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:27 pm

It sounds quite tasty and keeps you going thats the main thing. OH was manning the RSPB stand at a country fair a few years ago and was opposite the Yorkshire Tea stand. Some of the workers on the stand was keen on some cuddly puffins that were being given with new memberships, she slipped them a few on the quiet and was rewarded with loads of tea bags, Yorks tea cake, biscuits she came home with bags full and they didn't have to brew their own tea all weekend

Return to “The Dustbath”