Bus chatter

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Margaid

Re: Bus chatter

Post by Margaid » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:07 pm

I didn't mean frozen veg Hen-Gen, and I agree with Marigold about beans although I grow Enorma which need to be quite long otherwise they are bitter. I grow a few plants (bought as seedlings) in a huge planter and make a real pig of myself with them; I know when they are ready to pick because I have frequent taster sessions of the raw beans. Even asparagus can't compete with a plateful of home grown runner beans, butter and black pepper and a thick slice of wholemeal bread on the side. We were spoilt in Suffolk as the locally grown asparagus was only a few miles away; I agree about the stuff you can normally buy. Although this is a very rural county there is little locally grown fruit or veg available.

Last night I ate a particularly disgusting Co-op "Chicken Penang with Sticky Rice" - I ought to stick to the ordinary curries, at least they taste a bit like the proper thing! I still haven't got used to cooking for one and eating alone, but I'll get there sometime. Meanwhile it's a serious note to self "MOST OF THESE READY MEALS ARE AWFUL SO DON'T FORGET IT! Local chip shop is OK but I try and restrict the number of visits ...
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:54 pm

And yet, Margaid, occasionally you come across a delight. I still struggle to believe that Fray Bentos tinned steak pies are good, but they are. And if the odd surplus horse or clapped out donkey gets into the mix well who am I to complain?
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:08 pm

Ah well, they've been making them for a long time so they ought to have it right by now, and they don't really count as a ready meal - you have to cook them properly in an oven, not for 6 minutes in the microwave.
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:52 am

I sometimes buy frozen veg too, things like brocolli particularly, as living alone, it's hard to use it up fresh, before it starts looking sad! And peas, yes, definitely better frozen. Especially as, even when they are in season here, the only ones the shops have come from Kenya or other far flung places! Broad beans, I normally grow enough to freeze for the year, but sadly, this year I have none. The weather was too appalling to get them planted, and it's too late now. I don't like runner beans, but green beans I do love, and hope (if the weather EVER warms up!) to grow enough to make up the lack of broad beans this year. And I am down to my last couple of jars of home pickled beetroot, so I hope my beets do well this year. Last year, all I got was four rows of leaves, with no actual beets underneath. Not sure why!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:53 am

Hen-Gen wrote:Truth be told, Marigold I've never had home grown asparagus. But I love the supermarket version and rather enjoy the resulting toilet smells (also a feature of Sugar Puffs). So I can only drool over the possibility of the real Mcoy.
I'm soon to be taking possession of my share of a 30 month Galloway bullock. That is one half so my freezers will be bulging. What with my own lamb and locally caught sea food I feel very comfortable. But turbot, my favourite, is a rare treat. I've asked the fish monger in Lerwick to phone me when he has any but I suspect that my accent puts me bottom of the pile! :D
Do you eat your own spare cockerels as well? I suppose you could deal with them one by one, as needed, without creating more freezer problems.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:56 pm

Marigold wrote:
Hen-Gen wrote:Truth be told, Marigold I've never had home grown asparagus. But I love the supermarket version and rather enjoy the resulting toilet smells (also a feature of Sugar Puffs). So I can only drool over the possibility of the real Mcoy.
I'm soon to be taking possession of my share of a 30 month Galloway bullock. That is one half so my freezers will be bulging. What with my own lamb and locally caught sea food I feel very comfortable. But turbot, my favourite, is a rare treat. I've asked the fish monger in Lerwick to phone me when he has any but I suspect that my accent puts me bottom of the pile! :D
Do you eat your own spare cockerels as well? I suppose you could deal with them one by one, as needed, without creating more freezer problems.
No, I don't. Some of the matings eg Lavender Araucana x Dominique are sex linked. So the cockerels are killed as soon as they are dry and fluffed up from the incubator. Other matings enable sexing of the youngsters at about six weeks of age. In the days of caponising it would be feasible to run these on but to do this with entire males is not really possible. I've had terrible and bloody fighting even running on males to 16 weeks before finally selecting a breeding male.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:28 pm

Local farm rears free range (fence enclosed) cockerels (and pullets) to about 23 weeks Hen-Gen. Appears they separate them as soon as they sex and keep them all out of sight of the pullets. They all seemed quite happy and peaceful and no obvious injuries. They were evenly distributed in the field keeping about 2 metres distance between each other. A few years back on holiday in Lot we saw cockerels being reared (Cou-Nu), again in a field, but that time they had less individual space, acted like a real flock keeping together but had an obviously much older (and bigger) 'peacekeeper' but again out of sight (and sound) of hens.

The usual system here is to rear free range and then slaughter all at 12 weeks, just before the fighting starts between the cockerels.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:46 pm

Never had home grown asparagus either. Nothing beats home grown beans though.
I am a rail replacement bus at Southend on Sea today. On a meal break at moment and just realised how many shops on the high street are now take aways, one is even entitled "The Trawlers Catch Kebabs" I can see some very confused children growing up thinking kebabs are some strange marine life. Shame my meal break wasn't at Leigh by the cockle sheds, lovely and fresh
valeriebutterley

Post by valeriebutterley » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:58 pm

Waitrose mussels are good ATM also!
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:29 am

valeriebutterley wrote:Waitrose mussels are good ATM also!
So are ours vb, plucked from the pier at low tide. Mind you, as filter feeders God knows what they've taken in. But everyone here has a septic tank and no one discharges straight into the sea so we should be alright.! ;)
I eat them cause they are free but can't really claim to be a great fan. Used to have them in Norfolk in white wine and cream and enjoyed them but after one severe tummy upset decided only ever to pick and cook my own. That old adage of ''never cook an open one and after cooking never eat a closed one is very true '

Return to “The Dustbath”