Osprey return

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Margaid

Re: Osprey return

Post by Margaid » Fri May 04, 2018 11:23 pm

Monty's mate at Dyfi is now called Telyn, which is Welsh for harp because she was incubating her first two eggs when they had Catrin Finch and Seckou Keita playing at the observatory.

This is the link to a video of them playing "Clarach" http://www.dyfiospreyproject.com/blog/e ... j-has-name.

All the more amazing given this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43927802
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat May 05, 2018 12:17 pm

What a wonderful lady, thanks for sharing the link.
rick

Post by rick » Sat May 05, 2018 3:07 pm

Its a really good album!
Aw, I want to go to Senegal now!
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Sun May 06, 2018 11:55 am

Two chicks hatched at Rutland!
bigyetiman
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by bigyetiman » Mon May 07, 2018 4:12 pm

Looking forward to Glaslyn and the rest of North Wales in a weeks time. At least it looks like being drier this time round.
family of Wrens just hatched in our shed. Buzzard chicks in woods nearby are getting very vocal, as are the rooks
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Thu May 17, 2018 11:14 pm

Getting to Glaslyn is jinxed! Last year, apart from the pouring rain the day before which meant that Marigold and OH, BYM and OH and yours truly couldn't get to the reserve because of flooding, I was fighting a problem with the power steering on the car. Set off this morning in the other car, brilliant sunshine and then about an hour and a half into the journey, in an area with no mobile signal I had a warning message "Tyre pressures too low" !!!!! Apparently all four wheels ... Stopped and looked but they all looked OK. Don't carry a pressure gauge because I always end up letting air out of the tyres. So no option but to drive gently until I reached a garage.. First one I reached after about 10 miles had a defunct airline so pressed on to Dolgellau - 10 miles through beautiful wild scenery although I wasn't in the mood to enjoy it. Finally managed to put air in all 4 tyres - and they did all appear to be at least 5 to 6 PSI low, despite being quite hot (which puts the pressure up). At that point, with 25 miles still to go I decided to call it a day and go home after ringing BYM's OH to explain :( I'll take the car to the garage tomorrow to get the pressures checked while they're cold. Maybe next year ...
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Thu May 17, 2018 11:19 pm

Mixed fortunes for the ospreys, but all seems to be OK at Glaslyn and Dyfi. At Manton Bay in Rutland the smallest of the chicks was literally left out in the cold overnight and died; Clarach, daughter of Glesni (from Dyfi who didn't make it back this year) lost her first egg to a corvid. She laid two more and a few days ago both of those were taken by a corvid. News from Denmark however is that Merin, a male hatched from one of Glesni's eggs in 2015, is breeding with an unringed female in Jutland
bigyetiman
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by bigyetiman » Fri May 18, 2018 7:31 pm

What else can happen if we try to meet at Glaslyn, we now live in dread that if we try to meet there again, we could trigger an earthquake, tsunami or volcanic eruption or possibly all three.
Other than that we had a wonderful week in Wales, sunshine and warmth everyday, it was even windless at South Stack on Anglesey which was a 1st.
Nice to read that Merin is breeding in Denmark, better luck for Clarach next year
rick

Post by rick » Sat May 19, 2018 12:28 am

Bound to be an earthquake! :) It comes in threes, you've all got to give it another go.
Its been too long since I was last in Wales so this summer...
Ive just put my car through the MOT. Apparently, next year they are going to phase in a new regime of testing that will include the engine management system and tyre pressure warning (and the air bag warning light that has been a nightmare on my C1. Its on, its off, etc. Air bag itself fine (how would I know?) just a seat sensor on the blink again - probably.
Something tells me good intentions are about to clash with reality when everyone fails (and has to buy a new car to boost the economy I suppose!)

Awww! Sorry, I just had to post this - fast asleep! (we need a hearts emoticon - or not, maybe)
Screenshot from 2018-05-19 00-40-38.png
Screenshot from 2018-05-19 00-40-38.png (409.05 KiB) Viewed 218 times
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat May 19, 2018 7:42 am

Yes, we had a lovely day together last year, despite the rain - it's good to know what people look like, after years of talking online. Sorry it didn't work out for you this year, Margaid, but I'm glad you got home safely. I'm now looking forward very much to meeting Val, who is coming to lunch in a couple of weeks - her leg is now better enough to enable her to drive and it's turned out that we actually live only half an hour apart. I'll have to tell the girls to be on their best behaviour (or what passes for it, in the case of stroppy Violet!) We're off to Exmoor next week, in our old BMW which is subject to a fault recall because of the possibility that the electrical system will cut out unexpectedly, - haven't been able to get it done yet so I hope it'll be OK.

Return to “The Dustbath”