Osprey return

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!

Re: Osprey return

Postby Marigold » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:46 pm

Oh that's good, I'll keep posting them then.
Marigold

Postby jaxhen » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:19 pm

And I will keep viewing :D
jaxhen
Forum Contributor / Grower

Postby jaxhen » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:14 am

As a non-FB user I have just been able to access the Glaslyn FB page and can see the posts and photos. All I get a Login/Create new account message at the bottom of the screen. I've also been able to access Dyfi FB page with the same message.

For a reason I don't understand if I scroll down the page I can now see comments that are made on both the Glaslyn and Dyfi sites! In the past, after a short time viewing 'shutters' came down and you had to login to continue. Does anyone know what's changed to allow me to do that?
jaxhen
Forum Contributor / Grower

Postby Marigold » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:20 pm

Glaslyn FB page, 2.15 today;
'You'll remember there was some doubt as to whether the male osprey that landed on the Glaslyn nest on Thursday evening was the same one that brought a large trout to Mrs G on Friday morning. We have now managed to compare 2 images which seems to prove that it is the same osprey. We are now certain that this osprey is Aran. Both Mrs G and Aran are pair bonding exactly as expected.
Keep an 'eye' out for another post later today which will further explain how we have identified this male osprey to be Aran.'

https://www.facebook.com/BywydGwylltGla ... 78/?type=3
Marigold

Postby Margaid » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:24 pm

A very interesting post on the Dyfiproject FB page to

http://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.ph ... &width=500"

Once you have the page displayed, click on "See more" in the post and it should come up full screen.
Margaid
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby Marigold » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:53 pm

That's a fantastic page, I didn't realise it was there. Very interesting, esp. the info about how the female osprey delays actually producing an egg until she's sure the male is the one she wants, and one who will stick around. Have now Followed it.
Marigold

Postby Marigold » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:41 pm

Today from Glaslyn on FB. I think Mrs G. is very lucky to get such excellent shopping deliveries. Even better than Waitrose!

Aran spent much of yesterday in and around the Glaslyn nest being very attentive towards Mrs G - on one occasion bringing in a large, complete rainbow trout.
We had great views of the ospreys in the air from the visitor centre especially when Aran passed at very close quarters on one of his fishing trips.
There were a couple of intrusions high above the Glaslyn nest by what we suspect to be a male osprey as Aran mantled below. We were not able to identify the intruder but believe it may have been HR7, seen here with Mrs G last Thursday before Aran’s return from migration.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5B7012D3
Marigold

Postby Marigold » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:38 am

FB, from Glaslyn;

Aran and Mrs G have spent much of today around the nest pair bonding. Both ospreys have been busy bringing in nesting material and sticks and we noticed that a nest cup was starting to be formed during the afternoon. It is possible that an egg could be laid as early as next Sunday, although it is more likely to be the middle part of next week.
Here is a photo of Aran sitting on the nest this afternoon. He is quite a looker.
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5B2AF1BD
Marigold

Postby Marigold » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:18 am

FB, from Dyfi this morning;

Bore da
Let's apply some science to this.
Of the 36 established UK breeding ospreys in the 'public domain' that were back at this stage, 12th April, last year, nine have yet to return. That's precisely 25% of them. Of those, six are 10 days 'late' or more.
On average, 92% of established breeding birds return successfully every year, so 8% die. There are 'good' years and 'bad' years, but there's no way that this 8% mortality rate is suddenly 25% this year.
So what's the reason? We know that severe weather further down the migration path has been awful this spring - so suddenly we have an answer for the 25% late birds.
Add to this that 2017 seems to have been an 'early' year for arrivals, so these birds are not as late as we make them out to be.
Glesni's average (last four years) arrival date is around 5th April, so today she is exactly a week passed this; an amount of time you could reasonably put down to the known weather disruption further south. So in reality, knowing what we do about Glesni's historical arrival times and disruptive weather patterns, we would actually expect her back today or over the next two or three days.
We're not saying all of these nine 'late' birds are safe and well, but most of them will be.
There's warm weather coming over the next few days, blowing up from the south. Our prediction is that most of these nine birds will arrive safe and sound over the next week.
Let's hope Glesni is one of them.
Chin up.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5B27ABBF
Marigold

Postby Margaid » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:31 am

If a female Osprey can delay creating an egg until she's sure she has a suitable mate, presumably (rather like a Queen Bee) she is storing the sperm inside her. Having mated with HR7 and now Aran the question is:

Who will be the father of Mrs G's chick ?
Margaid
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

PreviousNext

Return to The Dustbath