Osprey return

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
bigyetiman
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: Osprey return

Post by bigyetiman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:33 pm

So did OH and boy do I know about it. !!!
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:44 pm

Just waiting for Aran at Glaslyn and Glesni at Dyfi. and hopefully a new mate for Blue 24!!!!!
rick

Post by rick » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:45 pm

Are there uncharted nests that know one knows about (daft question as no one would know about them!) or are ospreys so well watched over that all the active nests are monitored in one way or another?
... Could Blue 24 start up a new nest from scratch in these times? And would we know if she did?
bigyetiman
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by bigyetiman » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:51 am

Presumably there may be one or two in remote places. There will be some unknown to the general public but are watched.
Yes she could, or more likely take over an empty nest, most raptors like to go for a ready made nest, even to the point of ousting corvids from a nest. Such much easier then self build. be nice if she moved to an osprey free area and started up a new site
rick

Post by rick » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:46 pm

Ah, I couldn't imagine them knocking up a new nest from scratch the same as Mrs G's. They can easily expand out into new territory then if it takes their fancy (and there's good fishing on hand). That's good.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:34 am

Thursday's FB post from Glaslyn;
"Rutland born female 3J was at Dyfi late this morning. This afternoon she has paid Glaslyn a visit. Not sure Mrs G was too impressed!
Just before 6pm this evening an unringed male osprey landed on the Pont Croesor nest with a trout. The osprey looked very much like Aran, but we needed a little more information to convince us that it was him as we know there is an Aran lookalike in the locality. He spent almost an hour and a half on the nest eating the fish before flying over towards the Glaslyn nest.
When he arrived at the Glaslyn nest he did not attempt to share his fish with Mrs G and neither of the birds mantled towards one another. We witnessed this mantling behaviour when Aran and Mrs G first met one another again at the start of last season. There was no flirting between the birds, flirting was a behaviour displayed when Aran and Mrs G first met last year. When the male osprey left the perch as light was fading, he did not fly towards the trees Aran has roosted in during his previous breeding seasons at Glaslyn.
We will see what tomorrow brings."

and today;
"The male osprey on the nest with Mrs G is HR7. He is a four year old Scottish ringed osprey we saw at Glaslyn last year. The two birds seem quite comfortable with one another at the moment."
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5B6DBC7E
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:18 pm

And this morning, more news from Glaslyn.

"We are almost certain that the male osprey who delivered a fish to Mrs G at 11:04 is our breeding male Aran. Welcome home."

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5B2F4B25
jaxhen
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by jaxhen » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:59 pm

When I posted was anyone missing the Dyfi chat, what I really meant was as a way of keeping us informed of what was going on, not contributing!

Marigold is doing a very good job of relaying what's happening at Glaslyn for those of us who, for whatever reason, would rather keep away from FB.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:34 pm

The pics I posted from FB would of course be visible anyway to those who were on FB, but please could someone tell me if the links can be activated by people who are not on FB, or not logged in. Glaslyn doesn't seem to update its news on its own website so regularly as on FB.
jaxhen
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by jaxhen » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:51 pm

Marigold, I've just been able to view the photos from Glaslyn from your links and I'm not on FB.

Return to “The Dustbath”