Chicken wellies

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Icemaiden
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: Chicken wellies

Post by Icemaiden » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:47 pm

Yay! We never thought we'd be so grateful for a muddy run. We promise not to complain about mud ever again - well at least not before tomorrow!
The nasty white stuff has almost gone & Mum's had to spend an hour cleaning up our defrosted poo :-)02

Dear Aerial, we could still use some wellies & we've heard that your human is good at drawing. Do you think he could put some designs on here for us to have a look at?

Yours hopefully,
Nadia, Sophie, Holly, Tufty and Hope.
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:02 pm

Sauvignon earthworm with just the hint of slug or mouldy leaf, or bit of mud at the bottom. Just such a wonderful bouquet of flavours for the palate. Goes well with insects, layers pellets, after greens.
We agree with the wellie design. We have noticed what badly designed feet humans have, absolutely useless for icy conditions. if they had nice splayed feet like us they could get about so much better.
Anyway must get back to eating grass and digging in all the soft dirt, and getting back to the compost heap.
Plus leaving the odd big soft poo by the back door, we know they love treading in it
rick

Post by rick » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:10 pm

Nadia & co, You really mustn't give this human ideas. He's had us modeling all sots of get ups all afternoon!
wellies.jpg
wellies.jpg (72.65 KiB) Viewed 455 times
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:17 am

Oooh. Can we have more than one pair please Mum?

We like the spotty ones, but they need a bit of a platform (or maybe little snowshoe soles) to keep our undercarriages above the snow please.

In the mud though, the waders would work better. Otherwise we'll take a step, the wellies will stick in the mud & we'll fall flat on our faces in the mud.

That would NOT be funny!!! :-)02
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:33 pm

Just love the designs Rick. Think we would like a little heel on the wellies. Love the casual slips ons, great for a casual lounge in the sun or chilling in the coop. Definitely want them in more than one colour. Waders will make us look very efficient as we stride through the mud.
We girls think you should be designing hen tastic cards to sell to our hen obsessed owners, I am sure you can put a witty punchline under them.
PS do you do evening wear, for the hen about town ?
rick

Post by rick » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:43 pm

Well, us Legbars certainly won't be posing in evening wear until he can do us more justice! Where are our Tufts and stylish eyebrows?
Maxi? You'll have to catch us first!
Mo, Ruby & Lulu
... No Linden! No tux!
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi everyone, five new members here. I'm Violet,
IMG_3234.JPG
(413.1 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Here are Lily Leghorn and Iris, who is inclined to talk in a Scottish accent and go on about her Black Rock ancestors (although we all know she's just a RIRxBarred Plymouth Rock hybrid really.)
IMG_3263.JPG
(420.38 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
And here are Daisy and Rose.
IMG_3253.JPG
(472.32 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Rose is the RIRxSussex Blacktail and Daisy is the Buff Barred.

Amazing day yesterday. We were all living happily in a big barn with lots of other pullets when we were caught by the humans, shoved into boxes and loaded into a spaceship. The spaceship was noisy and vibrated a lot, but eventually we arrived on a totally new planet. It has lots of space and is amazingly clean, not a spot of poo anywhere, so we soon intend to do something about that. There are several new objects to explore - we don't know what the big green tub in the corner is for, but we're working on it.
IMG_3243.JPG
(470.27 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
I was the first one to notice that the human's shoes were tied on with long yellow worms but they didn't taste very nice. I was also the first to find out how you could jump up on that long overhead bar and look out into the garden - amazing view.
The food here is really excellent. For tea yesterday and breakfast today, we got a lovely plateful of warm damp mash with sunflower seeds and corn, topped off with a crunchy gratin of mealworms, and lightly seasoned with Flubenvet. Delicious, we all tucked in. We've only had Vermex before, so it was an interesting change.
When it got dark we all wondered what to do and where to go. The human came and showed us how to walk up a ramp and into the big green box. I did it all by myself and so did Rose, but she had to catch Daisy and Lily, and Iris couldn't seem to get the idea at all, kept on hiding under the ramp and then running away, but the human caught her in the end. Inside, we bumbled about for a long time, working out how to sleep on the bars above the ground, which we've never done before in the barn. Eventually we all got the hang of it except Lily who slept on the floor. I noticed there are two extra bedrooms in this box, but we don't know what they're for yet.
Being teenagers, all this new technology comes easily to us and we're glad the planet has decent wifi so we can keep in touch, using Tapatalk on our phone because its so easy to load pictures directly. We do wonder what we are here for, and what is our purpose in life, and we hope this forum will help us as we work on these existential questions.
Signing off for now, I've heard there are grapes for tea and as I'm the brightest of us I intend to be first to greet the human.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:39 pm

Well you all look lovely. Violet looks just like our head honcho Misty, we are passing this on as a kind of warning as Mum refers to her as Darth Vader with attitude.
Anything that looks worm like attached to human shoes tastes horrible, we have tried them all, brown, black, stripy all yuk.
Clever you sussing thinks out so quickly, humans get very excited about us doing that, and grapes are amazing far to good for humans to eat. If you see them approaching with green stuff, get ready to grab it as it will be tasty believe me.
Hope you have had a good day getting the run to a nice mucky state, humans just love cleaning mess up.
We have just had Flubenvet as well, as you say an interesting taste.
rick

Post by rick » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:16 pm

Sounds like you've really landed on your feet there Violet! Enjoy discovering the delights of the bucket. Of course, we hens of the world know what its for though ours is now a poop bucket and not the fun it use to be (to be fair the human did make us an alternative.)
That Rose of yours reminds me of our old auntie Teabag - a mischievous one to be sure!
Spring is coming! Plant pots to raid!
Aerial
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:43 am

So you all go to bed in the big green buckety thing? Funny- we have a yellow bucket, but the aubiose in it is always too pooey to sleep in, so we go into the big plastic caravan-type thing. (Don't let Dad hear us call it that- he gets his view of caravans from Jeremy Cluckson!)

Nice to meet you all. Lily looks like me back in November. A few dustbaths in damp soil & you'll soon find you blend in a bit more, don't worry :lol:

Your mash sounds nice. We didn't get a sniff of mash even when it snowed, & we've not had yoghurt for ages either. Anyone know the email address for Yeo Valley? We might have to send a begging letter...

Got to go, or I won't be first up for leftover boiled potatoes in the morning. Oh, the benefits of having veggie "parents"!

Night night,
Holly.

Return to “The Dustbath”