nature notes

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Margaid

Re: nature notes

Post by Margaid »

bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Great news, and what a cutie
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Margaid

Post by Margaid »

The decline of bees is a really frightening situation. They are so easily damaged by pesticides, whether they are honey bees colonising man made hives or wild bees. I only see a few different species in my garden.
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie »

Whilst out walking in the woods again last night, I heard a rustling in the leaves, shone my torch and caught sight of a woodcock. I grabbed my phone to take a pic, but it flew off. Gutted. Such lovely birds.
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit »

That's a really good spot Tweetypie, I have never seen one (except in a round jigsaw puzzle belonging to my Great Grandmother, that I remember completing as a teenager!)

The bee situation is terrifying. I must admit I find it quite hard to distinguish between bee varieties, above the obvious ones. The only thing I can hold onto is that where I am in Portugal we have unlimited hectares of tended/untended land with a huge variety of nectar sources, much of it wild. Which is lucky as locals do tend to be heavy handed with pesticides, or to plough between the productive trees (there is virtually no arable here, its all smallholdings of productive trees sometimes underplanted with veg).
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie »

Must admit that the bees in my garden last year appeared to be either wasp size ish or big bee. They love my lavender. I planted lots more last year, too. Aside from bees, I've seen a massive decline in frogs over the past few years. I used to have to be so careful not to tread on them when out walking in the woods, last few years I've only seen a couple.
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden »

I remember a kayaking weekend down in Devon several years ago. We set off from the very end of the Grand Western canal & the water was almost solid with tadpoles. I felt almost guilty putting my paddle into the water, pushing hundreds aside with each paddle stroke!
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

We had 5 Woodcock this morning in a local wood, they have been on a very muddy boggy path by a stand of Alder trees. OH has got it to a fine art, you need to get there about half an hour before dawn, and you see them in the torchlight or they fly into the trees to roost amongst the leaf litter, or you can do it half an hour before dusk and watch them come out, they never move too far from the wood edge though. Two Barn Owl and a Tawny Owl as well.
Anyone who lives Norfolk way, if you drive down from Sandringham to Wolferton at night there are lots on the verge they come out from under the Rhododendrons to feed
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie »

Ohh you are very lucky to see all of those. Aren't they just funny and fascinating bobbing about. 😁 Im going to do the annual big garden bird watch tomorrow. Not sure I'll see much more than the resident Robin's, sparrow's, blue tits and pigeons. Oh and the thrush which wakes me up with its dulcet tones every morning. 🙂

Return to “The Dustbath”