nature notes

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
bigyetiman

Re: nature notes

Post by bigyetiman »

Lovely atmospheric deer photos.

That is one brave man and a lucky dog.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Good news for Glaslyn Osprey fans, this years chick KC2 was photographed yesterday by a nature reserve warden at a wildlife area in the Gambia.
Attachments
KC2.jpg
KC2.jpg (23.91 KiB) Viewed 303 times
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Wonderful! So amazing, how they get there, on their own, with no parents to show them the way, learning to feed themselves as they go.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw »

May be a daft question but here goes. How do they know it is the same one BYM?, do they have a transmitter that picks up the chip?, and if so how do they know it isn't coming from one of the other birds?.
rick

Post by rick »

Great news (and super impressive wings!)
Its the blue leg ring Dinosaw. Somehow, with binoculars or camera someone gets enough of a look at the ring to read it.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw »

Ahaaaaaa!!, thanks Rick.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

They were all ringed with Darvic rings which are easy to read hence KC2 which is the leg ring of this bird, can't remember if it is male or female
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

What a lovely story - and a great photo too.
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/n ... ire-runner
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

I expect many of you saw the article on the news or in the paper about the thought extinct Grass-Poly that was re found in Norfolk. We didn't realise until yesterday it was in our friends garden. They bought a barn and converted it and are now restoring the overgrown muddy swamp back into a wild life pond.
They said only downside is now a succession of botanists wanting to come and visit.

But they are chuffed at all the hard work paying off. The area was totally overgrown with all sorts dumped in it, including iron roofing, tyres. They have been clearing by hand as they didn't want to heave out insects/ frogs etc with a digger
Attachments
Grass Poly.jpg
Grass Poly.jpg (45.44 KiB) Viewed 272 times
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit »

I guess we never cease to be amazed at Nature's resilience. I also firmly believe the old saying that 'Nature abhors a vaccuum' although I have to say it often appears that Nature is synomymous with brambles! On a walk yesterday I spotted a wild flower I haven't seen before, it looks just like a small creamy yellow cosmos, ie a flat daisy flower, with different leaves. I need to consult a book, its probably very common, but still a delight to me.

My nature for the past few days has been seeing 'our' 2 raptors swirling about. There is a huge difference in size and I am not sure if they are an adult and a juvenile or a pair. Given we still don't know what they are I am going to do a bit more research and see if I can work it out. They are out most mornings.

Return to “The Dustbath”