nature notes

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Icemaiden

Re: nature notes

Post by Icemaiden » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:52 pm

I loved your moth's ears. Quite amazing!
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:03 pm

This evening I went to close the Velux windows in my glass studio & spotted & heard a family of goldcrests in a conifer, begging food from mum. So cute, and the first time in 17 years that I've seen goldcrests in our garden. They were less than 6' from me, as I was upstairs at nearly treetop height.

To cap all, when I sat out in the garden with the "girls", I found the abandoned nest on the lawn. A work of art. Sorry I don't know how to post photos taken on my phone...
Last edited by Icemaiden on Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:44 pm

I love goldcrests. I havn't seen any finches, blackbirds, bluetits etc for at least 2 months!! Not sure if it because of this heatwave, or the fact that they have had their babies and gone somewhere else. They were certainly well fed by me during the first half of the year.
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:07 am

We had some American family staying, the Dad is originally Portugeuse. He saw a European Goldfinch in our garden and it made him so happy, as he said he hadn't seen one since his childhood in Portugal.

Yesterday I saw a green grasshopper on a green hollyhock leaf, slowly eating it. We also have leaf cutter bees who cut such perfect circles in leaves - I was not pleased to see the rose bush eaten, but highly delighted to see a bramble being attacked. We watched a bee, with a leaf, take it into a large log where I presume it is making a nest or burrow or whatever bees live in.

I also saw a female blackbird hopping about on the ground under the trees. Then there was a constant tapping noise, coming from a forsythia bush. She went to investigate, and so did I, slowly. She went to roost in the bush, and I couldn't see in well enough. It went on for several minutes and was a bit like the sound of a thrush bashing a snail shell on the ground. I still don't know what it was, but I think it was bird related.
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:11 am

Dinnertime is turning into a bit of a do here. After seeing a snake with a sparrow in its jaws, a couple of nights ago a sparrowhawk swooped down low over our heads and into the clementine tree and came out with a sparrow, its one of their roosts. We think the birds were spooked as they were flying about en masse and making a racket about 5 mins before the incident. I don't think the hawk knew we were there as we were hidden by shrubs and an umbrella. It was like having your own wildlife film!

Then yesterday I saw the snake again slither out from underneath the clementine, the day before was a feral cat shade bathing under the same tree and this morning a vole scuttled from one patch of foliage, past the tree, to another. The sparrows have been very quiet and absent, unsurprisingly. Normally they have a communal racketty dustbath every evening when the heat has died down, but not at the moment! Also, Mrs Blackbird is still about, she uses the water bowl as a bath, so I am pleased I took your advice about putting it down on the ground.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:35 pm

Was stopped from scything, first by a pretty blue butterfly sunbathing in the path of the next swing, then by a large preying mantis. Gave up there and went on to sickle some brambles in long grass only to spook a female European Whip snake about 1.5 metres long which went across some lawn and into the laurel hedge. had a Humming Bird Hawk Moth in the kitchen earlier- took about an hour to find its way out having sniffed at all the photos and pictures on the walls; clearly they can see colour.

Very quiet here at the moment as all the forecast showers have narrowly missed us and water for the birds is in very short supply.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:06 pm

Well I seen a horsefly,
And I seen a housefly.
But I ain’t never seen a European whip snake fly.

But a large Ocean Sent gin with Fevertree tonic and two slices of cucumber sure can distort ones impression of what is funny.

But more seriously I’ve never seen as many wrens as we have this year. Clearly a very successful breeding season. It always amazes me how such a tiny bird can generate such a loud song.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:55 pm

That's surprising. My list of species seen in our Hampshire garden this year is now up to 32, but includes only one sighting of a single wren, a few weeks ago in the heat. There are many places where wrens could nest and roost in our old shrubs and ivy, plenty of insect food, and they used to be quite common here, even nesting in an extractor duct for a old tumble drier one year, but apparently they've recently crashed, I don't know why.
Last year the duct was taken over by a colony of bumblebees, Bombus Hortorum I think but shall have to check with Tony.
rick

Post by rick » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:46 pm

Warwickshire Wildlife Trust have reported Otters spotted in the Rive Leam! Where I walk the dog in the morning! Happy days! :)
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:38 am

Great excitement!

A few days ago we were sitting inside when a noise started inside the woodburner (which is off). Thinking it might be a trapped bird OH carefully opened the door. It wasn't a bird, but a rather large bat! It was hanging upside down and we had a very good look at its bared teeth (quite a lot of them) as well as the rest of its lovely little furry body and wings. We tried to coax it out and into a fishing net, but it was hanging on for dear life. Eventually it let go and took to flying about the room. Cue me, OH and my elderly mother bobbing about as the bat swooped low and all over the place. We opened all the windows, which it studiously ignored, and eventually OH managed to scrape it off a bit of wall and took it outside, hopefully undamaged and it took off.

We still don't know what sort it was, but it was very large, about the size of a martin in flight.

Return to “The Dustbath”