nature notes

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Hen-Gen

Re: nature notes

Post by Hen-Gen »

Wow Marigold. I’ve spent this months book/CD allowance but this one is going on next months list.
As a return google “Last of the Curlews” by Fred Bodsworth. A thought provoking and ultimately tragic tale.
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Just read that also Hen-Gen.
The Salt Path is good follows the story of a woman and her husband around the British coastline after being made homeless and the woman being diagnosed with terminal cancer.
The next chapter is out next Thursday, called The Wild Silence. Author Raynor Winn
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie »

I was fascinated to see half a dozen moths of the same type on my sedum this afternoon. It looked like a gargoyle face on one pic and in another like a golden crusted jewel. BYM I can see how your wife is so interested in this species. I didn't realise moths came out during the day.
Attachments
Moth2.jpg
Moth2.jpg (91.74 KiB) Viewed 143 times
Moth1.jpg
Moth1.jpg (129.78 KiB) Viewed 143 times
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

What a beauty! I hope someone can say what it is. It looks like a piece of embroidered brocade.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

it's a Silver Y moth a common migrant moth to UK, day flying especially around sunset, food plant cabbage, Runner Bean, clover, nettles, bedstraw.
Lovely Moth
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie »

Thank you BYM. I was surprised to see all of them flitting between the sedum and lavender.
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit »

Absolutely fabulous! Great photography, its a treat to see a moth in its natural habitat. Capturing it as a still makes it easier to appreciate somehow, that last picture is just like a stunningly fabulous cape from the C17, Thanks for posting TP and for the ID BYM. Today I noticed a couple of hummingbird hawkmoths, its the turning of the season, its cooler here.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

How about this for an amazing pic by a wildlife photographer. I didn't realise they had wings, I am looking at earwigs in a whole new light, not just as dahlia munchers now
Attachments
Earwig photo by  Chris Timmins.jpg
Earwig photo by Chris Timmins.jpg (32.56 KiB) Viewed 94 times
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit »

A few years ago we visited an ancient walled town, just in time for the annual plague of flying earwigs. I have never seen so many, it felt like hundreds of thousands. Walls were moving. We had to leave, it was unbearable!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

After that tale, I won't look at them in a different light. Luckily I have never seen that many of them

Return to “The Dustbath”