nature notes

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
bigjim
Forum Contributor / Grower

Re: nature notes

Post by bigjim » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:47 pm

Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:06 pm

bigjim wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:47 pm
https://www.instagram.com/p/BkfmFloAPNm ... bp0ow1ssl8
Found this big lad at work today.
WOW that's HUGE! :-)11 What is it?
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:41 pm

I think it may be a Privet Hawkmoth. The stripes are right and the wingspan is 100mm (about 4 inches).
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:24 pm

I have had to look all those up BYM, they sound so poetic, and I didn't realise a Banded Demoiselle was a damselfly, I assumed it was another moth! That does look enormouse bigjim, whatever it is!

My nature observations have consisted of watching a lizard eating his way through a pack of winged ants. He had a definite preference for those with wings, and he was so close to my foot, completely oblivious.
bigjim
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by bigjim » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:21 am

We came to the conclusion that it was one of those too, after I Googled UK moths. I certainly wouldn't want that flying round my ears. It was left on a stack of pallets near the door, to bugger off when it was ready.
Quite how it managed to find its way into a warehouse in the middle of Northamptonshire, I don't know.
bigyetiman
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by bigyetiman » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:13 pm

Def a privet hawk moth, the caterpillars feed on Privet, Lilac and Guelder rose.
Banded Demoiselle's are beautiful with a lovely sheen and the females body is a metallic emerald. Emperor Dragonfly around today and 9 species of butterfly around the bramble hedge, and the Goldcrests have just fledged 4 young in a conifer. Get the bat detector out tonight I think
rick

Post by rick » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:20 am

OMG! Just found defra's maps
http://magic.defra.gov.uk/
Think I found them before a good while ago but forgot.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:37 am

Yesterday we had a bright red Tiger Moth (not the plane) flying around and this morning had an Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillar on the step in front of the garage, which was quickly moved before the chickens ate it. Hopefully we'll see the pink moth- last time I saw one was in Derby 50 years ago.
bigyetiman
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by bigyetiman » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:45 pm

Couldn't get a picture as they were too flighty, but I saw my first Purple Hairstreak, and silver Studded Blue yesterday and Downy Emerald dragonfly. Thursley Common in Surrey, brilliant for dragon and damselflies
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:02 pm

Wonderful article in this weeks New Scientist about species diversity and how in the UK we are losing some insect species but gaining some from Europe as a result of global warming.
But has anyone noticed how many insect species seem to be in decline. Even here there used to be hordes of daddy long legs in late summer but recently I’ve seen none. And as a child in London surburbia going to my fathers allotment and picking hundreds of cabbage white caterpillars off his cabbages. Not seen a cabbage white butterfly in England for a long time.

Return to “The Dustbath”