Have we turned into a bunch of ninnies?.

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!

Re: Have we turned into a bunch of ninnies?.

Postby Margaid » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:42 am

We were given special permission to wear TROUSERS to school, not that there was much choice other than the horrible nylon "ski-pant" type. My mum was unusual in that my sister and I nearly always wore shorts in the summer and tartan trews that she made for us in the winter - when we weren't in school of course. We've had another three or four inches of snow overnight and it's still snowing but lightly. Not as bad here as other parts of the county.
Margaid
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby dinosaw » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:18 pm

Thawing out here, markedly warmer today. See they have cleared the shelves up in Scotland with panic buying, you would have thought the supermarkets would show some common sense and put a limit on how many items of milk and bread you could buy during bad weather, but obviously too much to ask. When I look at winter 1963 I shudder to imagine the chaos it would cause today. I think we forget that the majority of the population then (and certainly the people in charge of dealing with it) had been through a war, 13 years of rationing, and two winters that were close in severity. They were used to crises and hardship and how to organise things to mitigate it. We have had it so good for so long now that even small setbacks seem beyond our capacity to deal with.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Postby Marigold » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:41 pm

In the absence of any hens ATM, I went down to the run for the first time in 2 days to do a bit of work getting ready for new ones. Soon came back in, though.
IMG_3211.JPG
(406.23 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Marigold

Postby Margaid » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:05 pm

Warmer here too - we've lost the Siberian wind thank goodness. Decided to walk to Post Office and butcher as car under a foot of snow, as is my drive and the cul-de-sac. Very treacherous underfoot so I walked in the road. There'll be problems tomorrow when it freezes tonight! Watched my cat carefully inserting his feet in the paw marks he made yesterday - until he spotted a bird under the hedge!
Margaid

Postby Marigold » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:32 pm

Managed to walk down to Whitchurch to buy some eggs (Oh, I'm SO looking forward to having 'proper' eggs again) Eggs were totally cleared out, except for the Organic Free Range, which were the ones I was after anyway.
Marigold

Postby LadyA » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:53 am

Well, you all survived quite well! Ninnies? TBH, a lot of people here were scoffing at the warnings (we had red weather warnings where I am because of the two weather fronts, the one from Siberia/Scandanavia and then Storm Emma colliding basically over the east/south east of Ireland The Govt. had called a curfew from Thursday afternoon to Friday night for safety). Quite honestly, I freely admit to being an absolute wuss when it comes to driving on ice/snow. I'm not sure when/how that happened. We have so rarely gotten any snow here. This lot makes three times in 20 years. Since the last time we had snow, in 2010, when my husband was still alive and still at home with me, and we were snowed in for a week, I have, every Winter, regardless of forecasts, made sure that I have a stock of staples. Flour, yeast, beans/peas for soup, tins of things, and a few large bottles of water in case of power outages. My cooker runs on bottled gas. My Winter every day coat is a ski jacket from Lidl (can recommend them!).

So, this time, When the snow came, I was fine. And come it did! My biggest problem was having to dig myself out several times a day to the fuel shed and to the chicken run. Although roofed, and I had spent the first day of the storm trying to get some windbreak up to stop the snow blowing in, It just kept swirling in to the run as if the walls and roof weren't there! On Thursday, I dug the run out three times, and replaced the frozen water five times.(It's about 11x13 feet). On Friday I dug it out as much as I could, several times and put water in a large pot hoping that wouldn't freeze as fast. The snow was up to my knees in there, and deeper outside. The feeder kept disappearing under the snow. And then one of the hens looked like she was going to succumb, standing with her head drawn in, eyes closed. So I thought, enough! put extra bedding in the house, a container of water, and a bowl of food, picked them up and shut them in the house. It's not a suitable house for them to be shut in all the time. It's supposed to house ten, and I have five, but they are never shut in (the run is secure).
Anyway, they all perked up, and are fine. And I could stop at least digging out the run for a couple of days!

I finally dug my way to my front gate, and forced enough of a gap to squeeze through on Friday afternoon. What a shock!! Outside my gate, I seemed to be in a sort of hollow. The snow was only up to my thighs. On either side of me, huge drifts had piled up blocking the road, to halfway up the telephone poles! :shock: :shock: It was actually very scary, because it's a very narrow, rural road. The council don't touch these roads. And living alone, normally, I enjoy my own company, and quite enjoy being here by myself. But I found being isolated like that, being actually unable to get out and see anyone, was totally different! Very stressful. Thank God for the neighbouring farmers, who spent Friday night and Saturday with tractors and bulldozers clearing a gap through the drifts. I spent Sunday digging my driveway and front gate clear, so I could get out on Monday. FREEEDOMM! :mrgreen:

News reports here talked about the emergency services getting stuck in snowdrifts, and local people turning out to dig them out. One report told of an elderly dementia sufferer being found collapsed in a snow drift by an animal charity on a call out. They just happened to spot his clothes sticking out, and thankfully, stopped to see what it was.

A lot of people, mostly in towns, enjoyed the time off, and enjoyed skiing and sledding down the hills. Dau said one of their neighbours, a builder, took his tools, and built a very impressive igloo on the green opposite their houses!

What has most impressed me though is the resilience of nature. All my primroses, daffodils, snowdrops and Christmas Roses, which were in bloom, have come out from their deep covering of snow, still in bloom! It's taken a few days for the daffodils to come upright again, but they seem none the worse!

Don't want to see snow again for a long number of years!!
LadyA

Postby Marigold » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:09 pm

That's really interesting, LadyA. I'm glad you came through it OK, thanks to your foresight about provisions. It's really hard work shovelling snow, isn't it? And it's a one-sided sort of activity too, not good for the back.
Marigold

Postby bigyetiman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:50 pm

Glad you and the hens survived LadyA. Ours just retired to the large coop and refused to budge outside, can't say I blamed them. They had a whole bale of straw spread in there and they pushed a pile up in front of the pop hole just to emphasize the point of not going out. It was all quite snug.
We didn't have huge amounts of snow it was the wind on top of the sub zero temperature that was the worst. Wednesday it was -11C at dawn then with the wind added on ghastly
bigyetiman

Postby LadyA » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:58 pm

I am thinking ahead, already. The chicken house is fine, for overnight. But not suitable really for them to be in all day too. So, I'm thinking of trying to get that replaced with a shed that would be large enough to keep a bin full of feed in there too. I got a nasty fall (two, actually) when I was getting feed for the hens from the shed during the snow. The wind was from the wrong direction, and blew the shed door in on me, knocking me off my feet, and I got a nasty bang on the step into the shed. And yes, Marigold, digging snow is extremely hard work. I think it was a combination of the enforced isolation and sheer exhaustion, but on the Friday night, something very minor went wrong, I can't even remember what, and I burst into tears, and couldn't stop! And I was also thinking that should it be another 8 or 9 years before we get another bout of snow like that, by then I'll be mid sixties, and probably not as able to cope!

There was great hilarity in the news here about the amount of bread that was bought. Supermarkets and shops were cleared of bread and milk and stuff like that. There were remarks like "Doesn't anyone know how to cook?" etc. But thinking about it, you realise that it's more likely to do with modern building systems. Modern housing estates don't have open fires. They only have central heating systems. They don't have bottled gas cookers, just electric or a combination of mains electric and city gas. If you have no power (and tens of thousands of people had neither power nor water during the storm & freeze), then you have nothing that you can't eat as it is. Sandwiches are a good option in those circumstances, because you have carbs and fat. The few shops that were open had queues up to an hour long, and a strict one way line in the shop. It was like pictures you'd see from during the War, or from during Communist times, of people queuing for bread. Only, there wasn't any, because the delivery trucks couldn't get there. Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, all the big shops closed on Thursday afternoon until Friday evening.
LadyA

Postby Icemaiden » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:07 am

Whereabouts do you live, LadyA?
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Icemaiden

PreviousNext

Return to The Dustbath