Have we turned into a bunch of ninnies?.

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
rick
Part of the Flock

Re: Have we turned into a bunch of ninnies?.

Post by rick » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:11 pm

Its got to the point of being remarkable round here now (for round here anyway.) All the moister in the air is frozen and there are plumes of ice dust blowing around in the wind. Its -1 around the roost bar which is open in the run though enclosed by the roof and tarp from half way up the run sides. Its only -1 because Ive got a small storage heater in there keeping the edge off. I know if they were in a trad wooden coop their own heat would take it at least above zero so seems fair. It's also keeping one of the mushroom drinkers from freezing to a solid block like the other one was this morning.
Just noticed this morning how quickly they have got through their feed hopper this week.
From the Met Office forecast should be back up past zero and heading for a melt by Monday.
Surprisingly, the school has been open for business all week and only closed tomorrow.

I know, I know, Rick's doing things weird again! But while the ventilation is excellent in a sheltered but otherwise open avery most of the year they don't have a wooden or plastic 'inside' as an option when it gets testing so a few watts (and the unusual ability to provide it easily and safely) of help seems good about now.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:31 am

They're very lucky birds, Rick. Just because chickens are able to manage to stay alive in these conditions doesn't mean to say they won't benefit from whatever shelter and protection we can give them.
Sorry as I am to have recently culled all of mine, I can't help feeling that actually the timing turned out right!
Hen-Gen
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by Hen-Gen » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:27 am

Ah, the ethics of chicken keeping. Coincidently last night I visited some neighbours along the road and mentioned that I'd just dusted off my incubators for the start of another season. This led to them roundly condemning me for killing all the cockerels at hatching time or soon after.There is no hypocrisy in their position because they keep 100 geriatric sheep, some eight year old hens and four pet cows which will never be eaten. But they can only do this because of big pensions and bits of part time work here. It was hard to make them see my point of view because they're argument was that I shouldn't breed chickens at all.
It is my view that one should strive to avoid causing suffering, as you do rick, but when the time for death comes then so long as it is done quickly and humanely then that is acceptable. But clearly not everyone shares that view.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:35 am

This is worth a watch, was on last night it was a documentary made at the time looking back at the big freeze of 1963.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... big-freeze
bigyetiman
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by bigyetiman » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:43 am

Harking back to quite a few posts ago. We watched a Guy Martin programme where he was building a replica WW1 tank, as the aim was to drive it in an armistice parade. In the event the local council decided it would ruin the roads and he ended up driving it in on the battlefields at the site of the first tank warfare with some offspring of the original tank drivers. But to do this he had to take a tank test on a public road in a chieftan tank. Which was truly bizarre as he trundled down the road with an examiner running along in front, you can imagine the locals reaction at a tank reversing into their cul de sac, and white van man being scared witless as he did a 3 point turn. So an ordinary licence is ok, then you have to do a tank test. Great for the weekly shop
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:38 am

I knew a lad who was a gunner on Challengers in the 1st Armoured Div stationed in Germany in the late 80's, apparently they used to knock down walls, smash cars and hit the odd house while they driving on the country roads there. I did a quick search and came up with this, one very lucky lady in the Yaris.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... in-germany
Margaid
Part of the Flock

Post by Margaid » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:52 am

Reminds me of the Annual Traction Engine Rally just outside Hay-on-Wye. Several people locally had traction engines and they drove round the town then over the bridge to the showground. The route to the bridge took them down hill, then a short flat section before the left turn on to the bridge. We watched with dropped jaws as a car driver decided to do a three point turn as three engines, including a ploughing engine (massive brute) were coming down the hill. No means of stopping other rather throwing them in reverse (if they had one!). No-one who was there can be sure how they managed to miss the car!
Margaid
Part of the Flock

Post by Margaid » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:55 am

If you look back at my post on Wednesday, I said my primary school was the only one that didn't close in 1963. Guess what? It was the only primary school open yesterday to celebrate St David's Day1 Saw it on the BBC News website (Wales).
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:28 pm

dinosaw wrote:This is worth a watch, was on last night it was a documentary made at the time looking back at the big freeze of 1963.

That looks great, will catch up on that tonight. The rural primary school near Radstock in Somerset where I had my first teaching post was closed for 3 weeks in Jan. 1963, and then there were several weeks of really struggling to work by bus from Keynsham to Radstock, followed by a mile-long trek on foot up a steep snowy hill (impassable to the bus) to get to the school.

Daughter No.1 very nearly got totally stuck yesterday on the way back from Bridport, A35, along tiny roads to the little village where she lives, and is now very satisfactorily totally snowed in - even the stream is frozen. Unprecedented weather for the Marshwood Vale.

Daughter No. 2 had planned a skiing weekend for herself, husband, and 8 friends from her running club, down to Morillon, in the S.E. French Alps. Sat in the plane for 5 hours at Birmingham Airport, finally took off at 11.50p.m. into the teeth of the storm, plane diverted from Geneva to Lyon, where they were told transport would be provided, but this didn't happen, they slept a couple of hours on the floor of the airport then managed to hire cars to drive to where they wanted to go. It took all the rest of the night along semi-blocked roads, despite snowploughs being out, and her most recent text, at 10.50 today, said they had 'only 10K to go up the steep mountain road bit'. She says they expect the ski lifts to be open and says
'Yes we fully intend to don our kit and get out there as soon as we get there. Which we hope will before the lifts close at 5pm.'

Some mothers do have 'em!

It was adventurous enough for us to try walking up the road from our house, which is totally blocked by huge, beautifully sculptured drifts of snow along the hedgerows. The cottages at the top must be totally cut off for the duration. Dog loved it, though. It's not been like this since 1979, when our kids were little and I had to struggle down to the far side of town to feed the ponies twice a day.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:27 pm

dinosaw wrote:This is worth a watch, was on last night it was a documentary made at the time looking back at the big freeze of 1963.

That was an amazing programme, dinosaw, we really enjoyed watching it. Not only because of the way it documented the chaos of that winter in totally incredible contemporary film, but the way it was all presented with the hand-drawn visual aids etc used on BBC at the time. Also the clothes people wore - women trying to walk through snow in little pointed shoes, and wearing skirts not trousers to shovel snow. Although we lived through it, there was a lot I didn't know or couldn't remember. I suppose that actually we got a lot less information in those days - with no TV for most people, including us, and only a printed newspaper and the radio for news. It certainly puts our present little meteorological difficulties into context! The snowplough even got up our road this afternoon so our friends in the cottages further along should be OK.

Return to “The Dustbath”