Logging on

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
MrsBiscuit
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Logging on

Post by MrsBiscuit » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:12 pm

I seem to get kicked out of the forum once a week (seems to be on a Sunday) and I have to log in again to see new posts. Is this the same for everyone? Is it because I am on an iPad or don't post that much? Though I am busy reading!
Marigold

Re: Logging on

Post by Marigold » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:25 pm

that's odd. I expect you always click on the Keep me Logged In box when you do log in?
Has anyone else had this problem? I get it when I've cleared the history on my laptop, as you would expect, but not otherwise.
How's the weather down there? The forecast here has been showing some v. bright colours to the SW of the UK, along the Western side of Europe.
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:56 pm

Yes, I do tick the keep me logged in box. It's a bit weird, it's been going on for a few months now.

We had a week of unseasonable frost last week which is a new one on me. I had been picking toms for the first week in Dec. Then really warm. Then wet. Now very windy - we have been suffering from scary blowback down the chimney when lighting the woodburner where the fire goes out more or less and smoke is pushed through the air vent and into the room. After 10 seconds the wind changes, and the flames surge up which is OK if you don't happen to have the doors open, or once thru the vent, which is definitely not OK. It's a new burner, large and powerful and mostly excellent, but I will admit to not wanting to be left alone with it earlier, especially as it kept setting the alarms off, which is reassuring I suppose :D

Still, we are not snow bound like the middle and north of the U.K. Thanks for asking, Marigold :D
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:23 am

Like Marigold I only have a problem when I have cleared "history", otherwise just click log in everytime
rick
Part of the Flock

Post by rick » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:25 am

Have a look in your internet settings MrsBiscuit. It sounds like your browser is automatically clearing history (including cookies) every 7 days. It probably started happening after a software update.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Yes, do you regularly get logged out of anywhere else where you usually stay logged in, eg mail, Facebook, or other sites?
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:28 pm

No, I don't get logged out of other sites, and I have checked my history, basically the options are either I clear it manually for a chosen period, which I don't do very often, or i can choose in settings to delete it all :shock: so I don't think it's that unfortunately. There is no option for automatic delete every 'X' period.

It's not that important, just irritating!
rick
Part of the Flock

Post by rick » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:48 pm

Funny other sites haven't been affected, but just to say - its the setting for cookies that would be the problem not the history. its a cookie that logs you in automatically and they, usually, can be set to be deleted periodically. Cookies are fairly harmless but can be a very small security risk (not that anyone worries overmuch) so they usually have more preferences attached.
Computers these days, especially the popular, smooth, user friendly ones, have a networked hive mind of their own!

Return to “The Dustbath”