Storm Caroline

Got something to say off topic? Want to say hello? This is the place!

Re: Storm Caroline

Postby bigyetiman » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:17 pm

Bonus, you must be joking, but someone we took home that snowy night did send us a M & S hamper, I did get a lie in as I should have been starting work at 5am, but we have to have 8 hours legal rest between shifts. I seem to remember OH being squashed against the window as we left Shenfield, she turned into "Blakey" from On the Buses at one point,and people standing upstairs sitting on stairs, but we got them all home. I never listen to National Express when they say go home they run to their own agenda and it's not for the good of the customer, and I never leave a person stranded, thats someones wife, daughter, son etc.
bigyetiman
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby rick » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:41 pm

Public service is a calling!
I used to make journeys I wouldn't risk now - setting out in a snow storm to cross the Malverns to Ross-on-Wye in a 2CV for instance. The guy in front in a 4x4 was going so slow, with the covering getting deeper by the minute, that we were risking spending the night out there.
And coming back from Rugby one time as a teenager on a moped when the road had totally disappeared so as you had to guess which way it went by the vague bumps that were hedge lines under the drifts. Not at all clever!
rick
Part of the Flock

Postby Marigold » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:43 pm

Interesting link - put in your postcode and compare the temperature with other places all over the world.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23252638
Made me feel a bit warmer!
Marigold

Postby dinosaw » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:34 pm

A friend of mine once worked on a contract installing DC power systems in Siberia, that was particularly grim apparently. It must have been as Mrs Dinosaw once did a trip to Moscow in November for work and that was the coldest she had ever felt.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Postby Margaid » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:12 pm

Only Baker Lake in Canada and somewhere in Russia were colder - it was minus 10.2 last night. At 1 degree it's warmer now, at 8pm than it's been all day.
No post for two days, pavements and untreated roads (like the lane outside) have been really icy. The forecast has altered to more heavy snow in the next few hours instead of rain. My cat hates it!
Margaid

Postby bigyetiman » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:36 pm

We managed -5C which seems quite tropical compared to you Margaid. The lane was like a skating rink. Roll on spring
bigyetiman

Postby Marigold » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:07 pm

A mere minus 4.5 here. Me in coat, hat and boots over dressing gown and nightie, trekking down to the chickens with a liquid drinker.
Marigold

Postby rick » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:28 pm

Well now, here in the Midlands, its a balmy +4.5 in the run tonight. It sounds like its raining out there but it isn't. Just melting and running off the roof. Those blue skies today and pink sunrise this morning were spectacular though. Typically my camera decided to pack up at the weekend and is in for repair.
rick
Part of the Flock

Postby bigyetiman » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:00 pm

Life is like that, like the time OH was down at the run and a Kingfisher came and sat on the roof of it. No chance of getting out and getting a camera.
Or being out and seeing a Long eared Owl just sitting in a bush looking at you and realising the little camera you carry around in your back pack isn't in there, i think everyone has a "if only I had my camera" tale to tell
bigyetiman

Postby Margaid » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:45 pm

Yes, mine was watching Mischief (3 yr old cat) experiencing snow for the first time! He played with it when it was only an inch or so deep, but it lost its' appeal at 6 ".
Margaid

PreviousNext

Return to General Chatter / Other things