Storm Caroline

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Hen-Gen
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: Storm Caroline

Post by Hen-Gen » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:31 am

How do you delete a post on this site?
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:24 am

To delete your own post, click on the black X symbol next to the Edit box on the top line of the post. You can't delete other peoples posts without moderator powers.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:40 am

In 1963 I was in my first teaching post, in a very small 3-teacher Victorian primary school in Somerset. The village was totally snowed in for the first three weeks of term so we got extra holiday, but made up for it on our return when we had to struggle a mile up the hill from the bus stop in Radstock. The bus couldn't manage the hill, and although I usually drove to school, the cross-country car journey from Bath was impossible until March. The school had outside toilets on the far side of the playground and the Head had to go out with a metal stake to break the ice in them every day, and then carry water from the main building to attempt to flush them. Heating was by a coke stove in each classroom, lit by the caretaker at 7a.m, and the teachers had to keep them going by constantly nurturing and feeding them throughout the day. Mine used to go out quite often because I was so busy with the class that I forgot about it, and then the caretaker had to be summoned again to re-light it. The fumes from the stove activated my asthma,in the days before modern inhalers were invented to help a bit. Also the head mistress was a horrible old dragon who made frequent use of the cane, the school was really under-resourced with old Arithmetic textbooks showing people in 19230s clothing, and the main subject on the top class's timetable was Intelligence, in the vain hope of getting someone through to the Grammar School one day. Not a happy situation for an inexperienced young teacher!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:20 pm

If you were in London in 1963 Hen-Gen you must remember those pea souper fogs to. I can remember the snow that year as well, with mum valiantly walking us to school, then getting shopping on way home. Funny how we all coped without cars, gritters etc and no central heating.
It's easy to get pallets round here, you just drive along and they appear to be growing by the side of the road.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:11 pm

I certainly do remember the smog. A real health and safety issue nowadays but we all accepted it then. I also remember walking three miles to school and then three miles back home. And in all that time I was never run over or kidnapped by a pedophile.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:46 am

Me neither and we made it to school and back without hi vis vests, played with conkers without injuring anyone, climbed on things and fell off and survived
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:02 pm

I had what I considered to be an over-protective mother, but so long as I left the house fully wrapped up, knitted balaclava and all, (removed once I was out of sight) I was free to play for hours in the local Council Grounds, making camps with my gang in somewhat unsavoury undergrowth. The only time anything nasty happened was when I was 13, on my way to the chip shop after Guides, when a man sitting on a bike asked me for the time. I replied politely and then he said he had something to show me, so in my innocence I went nearer, but couldn't see anything. Then he said 'Just put your hand here' so I did, and it was something sort of warm and squishy just above the level of the saddle. Coming from an all-female household and in the absence of any meaningful sex education, it took me a moment or two to work out what was happening. When I realised, I withdrew my hand, said 'No thank you' equally politely, and ran off down the dark lane to the chip shop. I wasn't going to miss my 2p.worth of chips, but was highly relieved on the way back to find he had disappeared. I never mentioned it to anyone, let alone my mother, for fear of being forbidden to go for chips after Guides, which in any case I was not supposed to do.
valeriebutterley

Post by valeriebutterley » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:52 pm

Marigold, I hope you washed your hands before eating your chips!!!!
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:57 pm

valeriebutterley wrote:Marigold, I hope you washed your hands before eating your chips!!!!

I'm shocked!!, shocked at you Valerie Butterley :o :lol:

You ought to write some memoirs Marigold, I would certainly buy them, it's fascinating stuff. When you wrote about your first posting as a teacher it conjured up pictures of Joan Fontaine in "The Witches", I hope they weren't running a satanic cult in Somerset into the bargain.

We used to have flashers on our estate growing up in the 70s and 80s and "strangers" were a huge topic of concern among our parents and teachers, I remember being jealous of my friend who got a ride in a police rover after someone had tried to pick him up. As is turned out the real danger turned out to be the risk of being beaten to death by people you rubbed shoulders with every day. Four kids from our school went that way in five years believe it or not. I say that as generally when I tell people that they think I'm making it up as it is so far outside of their own experience.

Snowing very heavily here in Buckinghamshire, woke up to 4 inches of snow and it is due to go down to -7 here on Monday night.
valeriebutterley

Post by valeriebutterley » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:39 pm

Don't know why you are shocked dino, it seems to me to be a clean thing to do, after handling something unknown and floppy. Could have been absolutely anything.

Return to “The Dustbath”