T-Shirt Weather

Got something to say off topic? Want to say hello? This is the place!

Re: T-Shirt Weather

Postby bigyetiman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:11 pm

Very dry here on planet Essex. Seriously though Hen-Gen continual wet weather is no good for the poor sheep, perhaps we should all make them little bootees.
Always thought it was strange that the weather people make no mention of Shetland or the Scillies. When they mention strong winds you never hear them say anything about the Isle of Man or Isle of Wight either
bigyetiman
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby dinosaw » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:43 pm

bigyetiman wrote:Always thought it was strange that the weather people make no mention of Shetland or the Scillies. When they mention strong winds you never hear them say anything about the Isle of Man or Isle of Wight either

That's political correctness for you, mentioning the Isle of Man would see them accused of sexism, mentioning the Isle of Wight would see them accused of racism and mentioning the Scillies would see them accused discriminating against sensible folk.

Yes I know, I can hear the groans from here.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Postby Marigold » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:24 am

And you would suppose that the Republic of Ireland is an imaginary country where the weather stops in a neat line across the border (except for a brief mention if affected by an occasional passing hurricane.)
Marigold

Postby Margaid » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:28 pm

I have friend who declared that there worst location to live was Places. Have you not heard that there is nearly always rain/heavy rain/frost/snow etc in Places? Very occasionally there will be sunny spells in Places, but it's generally bad weather.
Margaid

Postby bigyetiman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:10 pm

That is very true, I wonder if Bill Posters lives there, as he is always being prosecuted, in various palces
bigyetiman

Postby Hen-Gen » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:10 pm

I bet you two like the works of Salvador Dali.
Hen-Gen

Postby Marigold » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:36 am

i have an azalea the has been covered in glorious flower for the past 3 weeks, with more buds to come. The Viburnum Tinus has also been in flower since September. Both of these are supposed to flower in Spring to provide nectar for early insects. There are Red Admiral butterflies on the verbena and other late-flowering plants, and yesterday there was a queen bumblebee feeding as well - she should have hibernated by September at the latest.
Marigold

Postby Hen-Gen » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:26 am

Can't manage those exotics, Marigold, but we have hedgehogs shuffling about all year. They don't seem to hibernate here. Don't know what they eat all winter but when I see one it gets a bowl of cat food to tide it over. Not a strategy favoured by the birders - feeding an introduced species that eats birds eggs in the Spring - but there you go! :D
Hen-Gen

Postby MrsBiscuit » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:54 am

Hen-Gen, sorry for the delay in replying, I am in Central Portugal :D

Dinos- probably we will be back for Xmas and early Jan only this year, although that may change. We were away when the fires struck a week or two back. Mostly they were in the north, coming down from Spain and fanned by Ophelia. There were 42 deaths, it's just awful,but at least there was some partial natural explanation, rather than it being men or women setting the fires on purpose. There are all sorts of rumours here about why people do it, most are pure gossip. There is criticism of the civil protection services, but the terrain must be seen to be believed, everywhere is remote and mountainous and communication is hard. They are doing better at prevention now, everywhere there are men clearing undergrowth by roads to try to use them as barriers to stop fires jumping. Eucalyptus are also the villains of the piece, although, if there wasn't a single one you would still struggle to contain the rampage, there is so much scrub and dry pine or other leaf tinder, although eucalyptus does ignite and burn super fast. Having seen the carnage in California on TV, I can say we are ten times more fortunate than them. We don't lose habitation on anything like the same scale.

I can't remember the last time I saw a hedgehog, they seem to have disappeared from my Mum's garden in Hampshire and ours in Sussex. That and the fact I used to see murmurations of starlings across a field, but don't any longer, are my two personal indicators of environmental change. But, on the bright side, do you have red squirrels on Fetlar? My OH saw one here last week, for the first time. I know they are common in Spain, but we hadn't seen one in Portugal.

PS, I am a big fan of Mr Dali's art! I have enjoyed the exchanges!
MrsBiscuit

Postby bigyetiman » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:36 am

Sorry not a fan of Dali's work.
Hedgehogs still snuffling about happily here, and 4 Clouded Yellow butterflies were a nice surprise. But woke to frost on lawn and car this morning
bigyetiman

PreviousNext

Return to General Chatter / Other things