T-Shirt Weather

Got something to say off topic? Want to say hello? This is the place!

T-Shirt Weather

Postby dinosaw » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:15 pm

Just got in from spending half an hour out with the chickens, absolutely lovely day, blinding sun and warm enough for me to be in my T-Shirt!. The hawthorns and hazels are still holding their leaves and the only thing to signal that Christmas is only two months away was the first yellow berries appearing on my holly. I'm still taking tomatoes off the plants in the greenhouse.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Re: T-Shirt Weather

Postby bigyetiman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:01 pm

Lets enjoy it whilst it lasts.Been to work at 4am in shirt sleeves all this week. The garden is still a riot of colour
bigyetiman
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby bigjim » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:38 pm

Certainly has been mild. My holly has red berries on it all year round, I take it you can get different varieties?
bigjim
Forum Contributor / Grower

Postby Marigold » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:41 pm

Hedgehogs are still hoovering up food every night, putting on weight, I hope, before the big freeze. I just hope none of 'ours' are silly enough to try a third brood at this stage, but wouldn't bet on it.
Marigold

Postby Hen-Gen » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:21 pm

Which planet are you on?
Here it has been day after day of driving rain. My sheep (and everyone else's) are looking dejectedly a cross a sea of oozing swamp, half of them are limping due to foot issues and the nearby freshwater loch has burst its banks and flooded the bairns football pitch.
But the most annoying aspect of all this is when you watch the weather forecast on TV and they announce that Scotland will have a dry sunny day even though their map clearly shows rain clouds over Shetland. Oh, have we left the UK and been ceded to Outer Mongolia? I must have missed that news item!
Seriously though we had a brilliant summer with endless long sunny days so I can't really complain, even if my sheep look at me with that kind of 'either do something or we're going to call the SSPCA' expression.
Tomorrow I'm going to be playing with pallets and fence posts creating Z-shaped windbreaks so they can at least find some shelter. My very informative crofting neighbour has also suggested that in conditions like this I really have to put aside my reluctance to use antibiotics and give them all a shot. My ram, who will be going to the ewes in 6 weeks time, is down on his knees while he grazes because his front feet are sore. Hard times call for radical solutions!
Last edited by Hen-Gen on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hen-Gen

Postby dinosaw » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:26 pm

Hen-Gen wrote:Which planet are you on?

The only planet that counts, planet Home Counties ;p

bigjim wrote:My holly has red berries on it all year round, I take it you can get different varieties?

Just googled it and apparently there are around 600 varieties!. I'd never heard of them having berries all year round till today, thought they only got fruit in Autumn and Winter, always learning something new.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Postby chrismahon » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:17 am

Starts cold here in the mornings at the moment- just 9C, but then rises rapidly to 26C yesterday and 28C forecast today, so Tee shirt and shorts. It takes a bit of getting used to, although the chickens seem to like it! No rain means the ground is like concrete so no digging, but I'm sure it will all change soon. We've had drought conditions for three years now with all the reservoirs nearly empty and crops failing. We have large areas of weeds and brambles which need to be dug out and then grass-seeded, but that's impossible now. We've been warned that the window for digging and planting here is very small, so all the equipment has to be ready and in good order as a breakdown spells disaster.

Apparently the temperatures are going to tumble over the next few days so perhaps our first log fire will be earlier than 5th November last year?
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Postby MrsBiscuit » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:48 am

Very warm and dry here too :D but it's not out of the ordinary, I sometimes think Autumn is the best time here, not too hot but sunny and bright, right round to Xmas if we are lucky. The drought thing is new tho, it's been a terribly dry year with little rain in the winter and no September drenching for a week. We are having a fire, but that's for the benefit of guests, not ourselves, it's cosy.....and the chestnuts are for sale :D

I love hearing about our different lives and weathers, across maybe 1500 miles :D
MrsBiscuit

Postby Hen-Gen » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:58 am

Are you in Southern France as well, MrsBiscuit. Twenty years since I've been there (on a boys rock climbing week). To be honest I'm no lover of the heat but some dryness would be appreciated.
This place is a wintering ground for vast numbers of geese which fly in from Iceland for the mild climate. It's magnificent to see the skeins circling and wheeling and listen to their honking. Every time you walk over the fields you put up snipe that zig-zag away at high speed. And all the time the ravens quartering the landscape looking for the dead or the sick and dying on which to feast. And best of all, no more twitchers who are here most of September because someone has texted that a Lesser Spotted Tit Warbler has been seen (actually an Upland Sandpiper) which is another small brown thing but the first of its kind to be seen here having strayed from the USA.
Best of all though is the likely hood of the Northern Lights when the northern sky is a dancing display of green and blue. There is something very humbling about it and one feels close to God (if you subscribe to that belief system).
Hen-Gen

Postby dinosaw » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:59 pm

One of the things I liked about Alpacas was that they weren't prone to foot problems in the way that sheep are, having just a couple of pads with toenails (not unlike dogs in some ways) rather than hooves. Foot care for sheep seems like a bit of a never-ending battle talking to folks who keep them. Must be lovely to see the northern lights from your own home.

Have the fires died down now Mrs B?, heard there was a vote of confidence in parliament over them on Tuesday, was also reported here that you had some bad ones a couple of weeks ago. Are you returning to the UK for winter this year?.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Next

Return to General Chatter / Other things