New Gimmer

Got something to say off topic? Want to say hello? This is the place!

New Gimmer

Postby Hen-Gen » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:24 pm

Bought a gimmer (young female sheep) (a Zwartbles) last week and she arrived on the big ferry yesterday from Orkney. She's the second sheep I've bought this year as I bought a Black Welsh Mountain ram in Scotland. Can't wait for the breeding season - or tupping time as these sheep farmers call it but I see no reason to talk in unintelligible patois! She's gone in with my Rouge x Zwartbles ewes.
As with chickens I love cross breeding to get exactly what I want which in this case is a big, black, prolific, milky sheep with good carcass conformation! Ah well, a man can dream! :D
Hen-Gen
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: New Gimmer

Postby dinosaw » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:55 pm

They're fine looking sheep those Zwartbles, bet your ram can't believe his luck.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Postby Marigold » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:19 pm

How do you pronounce Zwartbles?
Marigold

Postby Hen-Gen » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:14 pm

Shv-art- bless. A lot of UK folk say it in various ways but that is how they say it in the Netherlands where the breed comes from.
Last edited by Hen-Gen on Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hen-Gen

Postby Minorcafan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:07 pm

You'll even get enough milk for a cup of tea :-)
Minorcafan

Postby bigyetiman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:17 pm

Fine looking sheep that breed , saw some at a country show and admired them. Looking forward to the progress reports later on
bigyetiman

Postby LadyA » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:06 am

Hen-Gen wrote:Can't wait for the breeding season - or tupping time as these sheep farmers call it but I see no reason to talk in unintelligible patois! :D

I think it's called tupping time here too HenGen, because although I know nothing about sheep in general, and have never been a farmer, I would have said sheep breeding time is referred to as "tupping time" too! When I was small, we lived in the wilds of nowhere, among farmers, so something must have sunk in! My dad worked for the Electricity Board and waaaayyy back then he was working on the Rural Electrification Scheme, going around trying to persuade farmers and others in rural Ireland that getting in "the electric" was a good thing! I remember him saying that often, what swung it for them was having running water in the barn! :D And sometimes, that's ALL they would do. They'd get electricity connected just to run a water pump to the barn! It took ages before they could actually see the advantages of having running water in their house, and then, sure, electric light would be a lot safer in the barn. And, gradually, they came to realise that if they had electric light in the barn, one or two light bulbs in the house might be a good idea! :D My dad was still working on this when I was a young child, and I'm only 56!! How quickly things have changed!!
LadyA

Postby Margaid » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:20 pm

"Tup" is actually a Middle English (14ht Century) word.

I'm reminded of the little boy in Sunday school being told the parable of the Good Shepherd. When the teacher asked the children why they thought the shepherd turned back to look for one sheep when he had the other 99, the little boy answered, " 'appen it were the tup".

Electrification came quite late here too Lady A. I remember looking at a cottage in Suffolk in 1973 and the elderly lady was so proud that they'd "got the electric" a few years earlier so she no longer had to pump the water by hand! In 1961 the "Sale Particulars" for MIL's small farm stated "Mains electricity which is quite near , can be connected by arrangement with the Midlands Electricity Boar at very little cost."

It was connected in February 1961 at a cost of £120!
Margaid

Postby dinosaw » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:49 pm

They say you don't miss what you've never had. Mrs Dinosaw's gran did have electric, but lived up to the 1980's in a terrace with no inside loo, no fridge, no hot water, no shower and no bath, she had a single tap in the kitchen and boiled a kettle for her hot water. She was set in her ways and didn't want her family to help her get the property upgraded. As long as she could make her daily visit to the club to play the bandits and have a few bottles of bass she was perfectly happy. We have never had a dishwasher and never will either, people think we're odd, which we probably are.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Postby Margaid » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:36 pm

I've had a dishwasher almost since I got married - OH would only wash the dishes but only immediately before the next meal. :x
Don't have TV though and haven't had since I was 18.
Margaid

Next

Return to General Chatter / Other things