Hazel Hedging

Got something to say off topic? Want to say hello? This is the place!

Re: Hazel Hedging

Postby dinosaw » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:04 pm

Well, I've reported it and got my reference number and it's been passed down to their tree maintenance team, covers my backside at least. The interest level went down markedly when I said there was no arcing of electricity and the fellow on the phone was almost incredulous when he heard they couldn't just do a drive-by assessment and would have to walk a bit of a way to get to the pylons. If they do cut, it will only be to 3 feet clearance apparently.

The only good thing I can find to say about Leylandii is that it goes up like a tinderbox when you burn it, you have to be really careful there is nothing anywhere remotely near above it, we had 14ft flames from a 3ft bonfire last week.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Postby dinosaw » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:18 am

Well they got back to me this morning on the trees. Apparently they are already earmarked for cutting as they have had a short out reported there before.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Postby Margaid » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:18 pm

Well I didn't plant the Leylandii but that stretch of hedge is too long to consider replanting. Most of my other hedges are a mix of hawthorn and hazel except for one side at the front which has been sort of overplanted with laurel. Fortunately have a good chap who cuts the grass and hedges.
Margaid
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby dinosaw » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:59 pm

We have a lot of hawthorns, but they aren't formed into hedges, they were allowed to grow too large to be much use, apart from the ones that screen the main run. We also inherited a lot of leylandii, mainly to the front of the property. In one way it is good as it screens us from the road, but the people before us had left the hedges get 5ft deep and 10ft high which is just crazy.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Postby Minorcafan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:13 pm

There are bound to be hawthorn seedlings lurking in your garden which you can replace lleylandi with
Minorcafan

Postby Margaid » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:43 pm

I'd love to have something else but I can't wait for a new hedge to grow - the hedge is about 8 ft high. It's the only direction from which my garden is overlooked so I need the Leylandii screen.
Margaid

Postby rick » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:11 pm

There's nothing wrong with Leylandii as a hedge Margaid - just top it out when it reaches a manageable height and keep it managed. My job involves the adjudication of high hedges and its always because people have planted cupressus and then forgot about it until it becomes very costly to correct. Doesn't have to be that way!
rick
Part of the Flock

Postby Margaid » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:16 pm

I keep it cut to a reasonable height - the chap who used to do it assumed the tall bit was next door!
Used to own a property with a 12' Leylandii hedge. It was next to a private parking area and the "busy body" was there when it was cut and agreed the height. The new owners asked us about the height (easy to see at what height it had been cut for years) and we told them the neighbours had agreed the height. In the end they had an ASBO which said the hedge should be 12' high so the"busy body" was stuck with it. Didn't stop him bringing out his tree prunings to put through the contractors chipping machine!
Margaid

Previous

Return to General Chatter / Other things